Where do I make adjustments in the Admin Menu and WP menu

I was wondering how to change my current theme to display like the way your demo does. http://themetastic.com/buddypress/?wptheme=Blogs%20MU, currently running the latest version of this theme (1.2.2) and I have the child theme setup.

I'm trying to remove some of the menu items at the top (admin bar and put it in the actual wp menu)

I created a new menu and made sure it was selected but this just seems to add to the existing Theme's Main menu navigation. How do I gain full control over the menus?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Madburner,

Please feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood anything, but do you mean that you'd like to customize the admin bar itself?

Also, you mentioned creating a new menu. You did this through Appearance > Menus, correct? Was this menu not displaying on your front-end?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The demo actually has the Activity and Community links in the menu, though perhaps I've misunderstood you there? If you'd like to get remove those items, you'd have to do so from the theme's navigation.php file. You would have to edit that file as you'd like the menu to appear.

Regarding the admin bar, that's a bit outside our support ability, but the thread's still open for community discussion there. :slight_smile:

• Anthony
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I see that now, but what I don't get is how come the I can't add additional submenus to the "community" via the WP menu system. could I get the navigation file that's posted on the demo site so I can take a look at it?

• Anthony

this is quite frustrating, I can't add submenus from the backend or control the current menu items in the main nav from the wp-admin custom menu. I'm trying to add in sub-menus for Community and Activity. Is this because those menu items are hardcoded into the template? if so that would seem like a huge draw back for those who want to be able to have control over their menu system.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi anthony
    the 'activity' and dropdown 'community' are not part of wp_nav_menu...thats why you can't edit or add
    menu to them with appearence->menu.
    you may need to edit them in navigation.php or try this

replace the attach navigation.php with your current one

and add this functions to your functions.php

function add_item_activity_menu() { ?>
    <li><a href="#">my activity item 1</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">my activity item 2</a></li>
    <?php }

function add_item_community_menu() { ?>
    <li><a href="#">my community item 1</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">my community item 2</a></li>
    <?php }

add_action('bp_nav_items_activity_menu','add_item_activity_menu');
    add_action('bp_nav_items_community_menu','add_item_community_menu');

you can add the desired links and text.

cheers

• Scott
    • Flash Drive

Very useful, but if I may expand on this a bit. How can I include my WP3 "Main Navigation Menu" to the home page as well. Using the code above is very handy for manually creating menu on the homepage.

But if I set the Main Nav in the WP menu's, and add the code mentioned above. The WP based menu's (Main Nav) only appears when someone clicks on the Community or Activity links.

Is there a function I can "add_action()" to have WP3 menu's on the homepage so I can for the most part control and manage my menu's via the tools provided in wp?

• Anthony

Very useful, but if I may expand on this a bit. How can I include my WP3 "Main Navigation Menu" to the home page as well. Using the code above is very handy for manually creating menu on the homepage.
    But if I set the Main Nav in the WP menu's, and add the code mentioned above. The WP based menu's (Main Nav) only appears when someone clicks on the Community or Activity links.
    Is there a function I can "add_action()" to have WP3 menu's on the homepage so I can for the most part control and manage my menu's via the tools provided in wp?

yes what he said. I appreciate the help but the manual way seems more tedious considering since I may make several changes in the menu such as the Label, ordering and Placement.

Do all the other themes suffer from such a drawback?
    and could I add the navigation.php into my child theme to override the other one so I don't have to worry about updates?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi anthony
    yeap..thats the drawback of having the buddypress component link like member, groups, activity etc on the same inline navigation.

when in dashboard menu, buddypress component link were not available.
    of coz you could still setup them with the menu->custom link...not ready select one.

although i do prefer Tammie's method on separating wp menu and bp menu (members, activity etc) without like a 'community' dropdown..everything will laid one inline.
    so you will have 2 menu and 1 menu will have the wp_nav_menu capable and 1 menu only list
    buddypress link.

will try and check if this possible...meanwhile i updated your other thread with fix attachment.

cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.