where do I place bp-custom.php file?

I have followed the instructions given in this page
https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/basic-guide-to-creating-a-buddypress-language-file-for-sitewide-label-and-message-editing/

to create the bp-custom.php file

I found the original buddypress.pot file in:

wpcontent/plugins/buddypress

Where do I place the bp-custom.php file?

• alexandegn
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I am having issues creating the .mo file I am attaching what I created. This file is so small using Poedit. I am using a Mac and do not know how to create a mo file from the po file. I tried ussing the terminal app, I have windows too but could not figure out how to use PuTTY

Help

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi alexandegn,

The bp-custom.php file would go right in your /wp-content/plugins/ folder so it'll ultimately be at:
    /wp-content/plugins/bp-custom.php

The .mo file didn't get attached as the forum here only accepts common extensions like txt, zip or jpg. Perhaps you could include it in a zip file or simply rename it with a .txt extension and we'll have a look.

Thanks,
    David

• alexandegn

that is how I did it. I saved it as txt file but your system does not accept it anyways.

So I followed the instructions:

1. Open the buddy press pot language file; I opened it with Poedit and only translated 5 words. then saved it under a different name. Saving the file also create the corresponding mo file. This file is under 1k and when i opened it it only contains the 5 words translated. So the large pot file gets shrunk into a file that only contains 5 words.....

2. Created the custom php file

3. Updoaled it and

Nothing happens

what am I doing wrong?

• alexandegn

Below is all that is in the file. As you can see, only eleven lines. Also below is a screen shot of an error message I get using PoEdit and saving the po file

Þ•L |¨©²¹ÀÈ<Ð
    $ -ActivityForumsGroupsMembersSign UpProject-Id-Version: BuddyPress
    Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: wp-polyglots@lists.automattic.com
    POT-Creation-Date: 2011-09-20 22:31:12+00:00
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    PO-Revision-Date: 2011-11-01 07:44-0500
    Last-Translator:
    Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL@li.org>
    ActividadForosGruposMiembrosRegístrate

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya alexandegn,

Just jumping in here, but it definitely looks as though the .po file you've created isn't correct. I'd say open the .pot inside bp-languages and create a new .po file.

Also, note that it's recommended to make sure your naming convention for the file matches your language as defined in wp-config.php.

If you have es_ES in your wp-config (for Spanish) then your BuddyPress file should be named 'buddypress-es.po'

There is some buddypress translation work already underway were you can get translations and export them as mo/po and other file types here: http://translate.wordpress.org/projects/buddypress/dev

I believe you have to be logged in to get the translations though.

Also, you mentioned above that you were having trouble with the bp-custom.php file. Did you get that sorted? Thanks!

• alexandegn

thanks for jumping in

What I have already done:

1. Uploaded the spanish translation mo files for buddy press
    2. translated the bp-corporate theme and uploaded the corresponding mo files

Now,
    My issue is that I have uploaded all my Spanish files however the headers for Activity Forums Groups Members Sign Up still show up in English see http://pulsohispano.com/ .
    I would like those in Spanish
    Seems like I have done everything prescribed but I cannot fix it

I understand that I have to modify the language file as indicated on first thread above and in this site
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/basic-guide-to-creating-a-buddypress-language-file-for-sitewide-label-and-message-editing/

I am having trouble using po edit and creating the corresponding mo file. Thanks for file naming convention you indicated.

do you know why Poedit is not creating the correct mo file? Is there another program I can try?

Thanks

• alexandegn

Ok, thanks for the advice. I know that I must name the file using ES for the Spanish. However, the issue I have is that I do not know how to create a valid mo file. As I showed you above, I use Poedit to open the pot file, or the po file then give it a different name after translating only the 5 words i need. Then when I save it, Poedit creates a small file that as you can see above is not correct. Can you tell me a different way of creating a valid po file?

Thanks

• alexandegn

Yeah the error is weird like you say. I am using mac os x 10.6.8.
    I am going to try the triplespin alternative.

Regarding your next point, I already hava a spanish translation of Buddy Press that I have already uploaded.

i ll keep you posted and many thanks for reading my stuff

• alexandegn

Dear masonjames:

I did try PoEdit in windows.
    I opened the buddypress.pot file and saved it as buddypress_es.po
    then proceeded to translate the five words I need translated.

Then I saved the file. The corresponding mo file created is still very small and only contains the five words i translated. I think that the problem will be solved if i were to translate all 1110 strings so that it creates a complete mo file. But who wants to translate all 1110 strings when I only need to modify 5 words? How can I get around this?

The one thing I do not understand is why is it so difficult to just change the headers on the home page of my buddy press theme bp-corporate at http://www.pulsohispano.com . Remember that:

1. I already have the bpress spanish file uploaded it is named buddypress-es_ES.mo
    2. I also translated the theme language file and it s uploaded in the corresponding theme/language folder
    3. The only thing left to do is to change those bloody headers at http://www.pulsohispano.com that say, Activity Forums Groups Members Sign Up, which still show in English even though I have uploaded two language files as in # 1 and #2 above.

Please, please your help is needed. I need to solve this issue. It should not be this hard.
    please

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi alexandegn
    are you using the latest buddypress version?
    as far as the top navigation, i think you can edit the page title and slug to your own languange.

new bp core use pages functions now for the bp components.

could you try edit the activity in dash->edit-page to your own language and see if you click the activity will take you to the right page.

cheers

• alexandegn

Hi Richie: Thanks for your advice. Could you be more specific because I do not know which folders I should be looking to find the files you mention.

I used WPMU for the installation and I think I have the latest bp . How do I know which version I have

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

What Richie is referring to is within the WordPress Admin. You can go to the page you create to be used with BuddyPress and simply rename it to work for your language. This should change the headers as well as browser titles to your language.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.