Where should BuddyPress be installed in store network?

I'm new to MarketPress and am setting up a test site for a store network. Like everyone, I'd like to avoid making wrong choices in the initial setup. The main site will have a product-oriented home page, and there will be a BuddyPress community for the whole network (not individual sites). The client wants a main store with her own products plus products from members' networked stores. A Global Cart will be used to avoid shopping cart chaos.

I have several questions about the setup:

1. What works, or works best, with a Global Cart, subsites in subdirectories or subdomains?
I can use either one, but have always gone with subdirs in other Multisite installs because it provides more separation and clarity. (No add-on domains will be used.)

2. Where should BuddyPress be installed when it's not the focus of the home page?
In a subfolder of the main site? In a separate subdomain?
I found the page with wp-config.php options that tell WP which blog is home for BP. Does storing member profiles in the root work if BP is in a subdomain?

3. Does the store work alright when products are added to the main site as well as subsites? Or should the site owner's store also be in a subdomain/subdirectory?

Thank you for your insights. Sorry to ask so many questions. Short answers that point to the right path would be most welcome.

• DavidM

Hi Arabella and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV! I'll have a look with you on these questions inline.

1. What works, or works best, with a Global Cart, subsites in subdirectories or subdomains?
    I can use either one, but have always gone with subdirs in other Multisite installs because it provides more separation and clarity. (No add-on domains will be used.)

Either method will work just fine with the global cart and there's no practical difference at all as far as the cart is concerned. It's basically just a matter of preference. I use and am happy with subdir setups myself.

2. Where should BuddyPress be installed when it's not the focus of the home page?
    In a subfolder of the main site? In a separate subdomain?

I found the page with wp-config.php options that tell WP which blog is home for BP. Does storing member profiles in the root work if BP is in a subdomain?

As I believe you've found, BuddyPress is actually a network activated plugin and is somewhat designed for use on your main site, but it is possible to use route it to a sub-site by adding the following to your wp-config.php file (substituting $site_id with your sub-site's id of course):
    define ( ‘BP_ROOT_BLOG’, $site_id );

I guess you've found that edit already though just wanted to post that to have it here for discussion as well. The member profiles are actually global, as with regular WordPress profiles on a Multisite, so essentially they persist from site to site. They're not stored in a sub-site or what not, but globally.

3. Does the store work alright when products are added to the main site as well as subsites? Or should the site owner's store also be in a subdomain/subdirectory?

There should be no problems at all with adding products to the main site. They'll be seen essentially as the rest of the network products are seen, if not just probably a bit more visible being on the main site.

Also, we're happy to tackle any questions you might have so please feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.