Where & Who Are New Users?

(by the way I resolved all my other issues I was having in other threads by re-installing my theme, plugins, and BuddyPress)

1. Ok, this is something I have never understood and I really need to now that this site is about to go live. When I sign up a test account on my buddypress register page, I activate it via the email, etc then it says activation complete, etc. But what I don't get is, the new user does not show up in the SITE admin > Users > All Users, it only shows up in the NETWORK admin Users > All Users. This means that my client's staff will not be able to see the BuddyPress members in their site admin users area right? Why is this?

2. Another issue I am having now is that when checking what the actual WordPress ROLE the new BuddyPress user was by testing it with a function like this:

if( current_user_can( 'author' ))

...the BuddyPress new user didn't match any of them. I tried Editor, Author, Member, Subscriber, Moderator, Contributor, Key Master... and even Blocked and Inactive (whatever those are) and none of them affected this new user. What role is WordPress even giving the new BuddyPress users? I have verified that the new BP user does not have access to the WP admin dashboard at all, so that is good. But I need to be able to filter certain aspects of the site in addition to this, thus I need to know how to use the above conditional for BP users.

3. After I get this sorted, is there a plugin or function I can use that would cause new BuddyPress registrants to be automatically redirected to the BP Groups area when logging in?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings coreymj78,

1. Ok, this is something I have never understood and I really need to now that this site is about to go live. When I sign up a test account on my buddypress register page, I activate it via the email, etc then it says activation complete, etc. But what I don't get is, the new user does not show up in the SITE admin > Users > All Users, it only shows up in the NETWORK admin Users > All Users. This means that my client's staff will not be able to see the BuddyPress members in their site admin users area right? Why is this?

This sounds as if you are running a MultiSite and signing up users to your site and not sub sites.

This is why they do not show up elsewhere - they have yet to join the other sites but all users no matter what site all belong to the network and therefore will all show up there.

Any chance you have tested this with a sub site? I think you will then find that they are in the specific sub sites users and in the network users.

2. Another issue I am having now is that when checking what the actual WordPress ROLE the new BuddyPress user was by testing it with a function like this:

if( current_user_can( 'author' ))

...the BuddyPress new user didn't match any of them. I tried Editor, Author, Member, Subscriber, Moderator, Contributor, Key Master... and even Blocked and Inactive (whatever those are) and none of them affected this new user. What role is WordPress even giving the new BuddyPress users? I have verified that the new BP user does not have access to the WP admin dashboard at all, so that is good. But I need to be able to filter certain aspects of the site in addition to this, thus I need to know how to use the above conditional for BP users.

I would try using the User Role Editor plugin to control users roles and see what roles are currently assigned and to whom.

3. After I get this sorted, is there a plugin or function I can use that would cause new BuddyPress registrants to be automatically redirected to the BP Groups area when logging in?

I would think that the Login Redirect plugin would take care of this task.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• coreymj78
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I already use User Role Editor, but I still can't seem to figure out what role WP is assigning to BP users.

1. Do you know off hand what role is the default? I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.

2. On my end, it's as if the new BP user does not have a role assigned. Is there a way to maybe get BP to automatically assign a certain role?

3. Does the Default Role in User Role Editor affect only new users added in the dashboard or new BP registrants as well?

4. I signed this test user up on the root site of my multisite. But wouldn't that user still show up in the SITE admin users level since its still technically a SITE and not just the root network? And how would I "test this with a sub site " as you say when the BP register page is obviously on the root site and not a sub site? How could I test on a sub site? I'm not following you on that. Every BP multisite has a specified bp_root_blog and that root site is the site the users register on. I don't understand "testing this on a sub site". Also, how does a BP user "join" another site?

Thanks for the Login Redirect.

Oh, side question, I am making my client staff person an Editor because I don't want to give them admin access, I've already use User Role Editor to give them widget, menus, and some user management rights... they will also be managing the BP groups and members. How can they promote BuddyPress members, say if they wanted to make one member a moderator? Also, is it possible to give them the ability to promote a BP member to an equal Editor like themselves?

Thanks!

• coreymj78
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Never mind, I got help with this from a plugin called Multisite User Management, which automatically adds users to new sites with a specified default role. Very nice.

Also, I figured out where our miscommunication came in, I am using Networks+ (Multiple Networks) and BP Multi Network plugin, which technically segregates each of my BP social networks.

Those two plugins, along with the MUM plugin and User Role Editor really do make a nice multiple social network arrangement where each network can have it's own users, themes, plugins, settings, roles, groups, forums, and more, and nothing at all "spills over" into the other sub-network sites. All of this can exist in the same overall multisite wordpress network.

Now, using WP-Replicator, along with Networks+, I can even go as far as replicating a template site, turn that new replicated site into a new sub-network to basically "copy" an entire network to create a new client site.

Hurray!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.