Which is the better option?

Hi,

I am planning to implement a multisite network. The network will allow vendors to sign up for an account which allows them to create their own blog and access to other plugins. I will be using pro sites to limit the vendor access to certain plugins and themes. It will also have a directory to list all vendors.

As the plan comes with Free and Paid plans, I am planning the following and wonder which is the best option to achieve the outcome:

Option 1
- BuddyPress + Pro Sites
- Free plans only allow user to have access to BuddyPress and not create any blog
- Paid plans allow user to have access to BuddyPress and create a blog.
- BuddyPress will act as a directory, and list all main users (those user sign up via main site and not those created in sub site)

Option 2
- Prosites + Directory
- Free plans only allow user to submit a listing and create a blog with basic features.
- Paid plans allow user to submit listing and create a blog and premium features.

The issue for option 1 is how do I only list those users that sign up via the main site and not those created by the sub site admins? Any plugins available for this?

Also how do I disable those users belonging in the subsite to have the ability to create their own blog?

Issues for Option 2, what is the best way to integrate this 2 plugins (Directory + Pro Sites)? Can I allow user to submit listing by using Gravity Forms?

Hope someone can shed some light into any of the options.

Thank you.

• Luís

Hi @mohaomezan ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Regarding to the Option 1, using Pro Sites, you don't have a way to limit the creation of a site, users will be always to create it. So, the best option is following the Option 2.

The issue for option 1 is how do I only list those users that sign up via the main site and not those created by the sub site admins? Any plugins available for this?

From what I searched, I didn't found any plugin to allow it, however you can use the get_users function from WordPress that will list the users from the current site. This is an example of a shortcode to list the users of the current site, that you can use as a mu-plugin:

function blog_users_func(){

$users= get_users();

?> <ul> <?php

foreach ( $users as $user ) {
    	echo '<li>' . esc_html( $user->display_name ) . '</li>';
    }

?> </ul> <?php

}

// create the shortcode
    add_shortcode( 'this_blog_users', 'blog_users_func' );

Issues for Option 2, what is the best way to integrate this 2 plugins (Directory + Pro Sites)? Can I allow user to submit listing by using Gravity Forms?

Unfortunately, there is no integration between Directory and Pro Sites, they work in a separated way. Pro Sites allows you to create plans and manage the sites in your network, Directory will allow your users to add listings, but works in a site by site basis.

Regarding to Gravity Forms, I think it's possible to submit listings, however, I think you will need an additional plugin to map the custom fields and allow to post in a post type, like:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/gravity-forms-custom-post-types/

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.