which option is better when it comes to backing up with snapshot?

HI,
Is it better to do a mirror sync or a archive backup with snapshot?

Corn

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@cornelius_butler,

The one advantage of the sync is the individual files on Dropbox are versioned. With the archive method you are in effect creating multiple copies of the same files in each archive thus eating up your space/usage on Dropbox.

• amused
    • friend of Bill. W.

can i jump in here ?
    correct me if i am wrong,
    but only dropbox business plan has versioning history which is $15 x 5 users (a minimum total of $75 per month) ;
    which may make sense in the long run with regards to storage space ?

if sync option is chosen in snapshot, any restore would have to be manually done using FTP ?

kind regards,

RC.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Randall,

Per Dropbox you can purchase an add-on which will save versioned files forever. https://www.dropbox.com/help/122/en

By default, Dropbox saves a history of all deleted and earlier versions of files for 30 days for all Dropbox accounts. If you purchase the Packrat add-on for your account, Dropbox will save your files for as long as you have the feature, so you'll never have to worry about losing a folder or file again.

if sync option is chosen in snapshot, any restore would have to be manually done using FTP ?

That depends on what you are comfortable with. Would mean probably something like downloading the needed files from Dropbox to your local system then using FTP to push the files up to your server.

There are some complications with doing a file by file restore via Dropbox. The Snapshot sync is not 100%. Meaning if you delete say a plugin on your server the synced file is still going to be on Dropbox. Snapshot does not have the ability to connect to all the possible delete actions.

So in the point of a restore using snapshot the restore would need to pull down all files. This could create more complicated issues. In most cases a restore is needed for the database. Very rarely do you need to restore files (media).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.