Which option is right for me? Marketpress, multisite....confused....

Hi all,

I want to allow individual sellers to sell products online. To do this, I want them to be able to log in, view their orders and their products and add them to the main site. I don't really want them to have their own separate site (with different themes, layouts and plugins etc). I need it to be as simple as possible. Basically, I'm thinking - Amazon marketplace, where perhaps the seller can have their own 'store front' but it's not a separate installation or sub-domain or anything.

Is marketpress the right option for me? I love the selection of plugins which are available, so I really want it to be! I just know the sellers which I have in mind are not exactly proficient with computers, so I'm looking for simplicity.

Hope someone can give me a hand :slight_smile:

Nathan

• aecnu

Greetings Nathan,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Is marketpress the right option for me?

The way you described it versus out of the box are two completely different intended uses.

If you are wanting where they can add their products to a single store this can be handled and restricted by user roles to one store, but YOUR PayPal account will be responsible for everything including charge backs and refunds.

So if I add a lottery ticket in there for people to try to win the jack pot - your PayPal account gets burned immediately - Game over - nobody else gets to sell until you get your account reinstated if in fact it gets reinstated.

The way using MultiSites and there own stores allows the end user to input there own PayPal information and they are responsible for the refunds, charge backs, bad apples etc.

This would be something to really think about and the intended use is designed to protect our member therefore the MultiSite and individual store.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• hpidriver

There is not much way around each user having their own sub-site as it is built on top of WP multisite to begin with.

I don't really want them to have their own separate site (with different themes, layouts and plugins etc)

You can use New Blog Templates so that each "separate site" looks identical. And you can have the main homepage of the "Amazon-esque" site display items for sale from any and all your sub-sites by using Global Shortcodes.

• Nathan

Hi all,

Thank you for all your help so far :slight_smile:

I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks now and am really starting to get used to it. The idea of -

You can use New Blog Templates so that each "separate site" looks identical. And you can have the main homepage of the "Amazon-esque" site display items for sale from any and all your sub-sites by using Global Shortcodes.

Sounds great. The only issue is, is Marketpress set-up so that the end user is able to buy multiple items from multiple vendors, and only pay once? So if they land on the 'main store' and buy something from seller A at £1, and seller B at £2, it is possible to charge one amount to them? This is the bit which is confusing me the most :slight_smile:

Hope someone can help,

Regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.