Which OS to install on VPS works best with MultiSite and BuddyPress?

The question says it all really, I am getting a VPS with WHM and cpanel, installing wordpress multisite and buddypress. Which OS works best for the above? Or are they all the same? Maybe less load on the VPS? My options are in the screenshot below.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

I am getting a VPS with WHM and cpanel, installing wordpress multisite and buddypress.

Well, that is a nice decision for sure :slight_smile:

Which OS works best for the above? Or are they all the same? Maybe less load on the VPS?

I am using a VPS from AECNU Hosting which runs on CentOS and its considered to be one of the best OS for servers. It’s basically a free version of RedHat Enterprise Linux but certainly powerful. I never saw any performance issues and the server being overloaded. May be because my host does not overload the servers and gives a rocking service.

Performance will totally depend on where you are getting the hosting from. Is it optimized for WordPress or not.

I will also leave this discussion open for other members to chime in and provide their thoughts. Perhaps @aecnu will also make his way here soon :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Worrds,

PC is spot on with everything he mentioned and indeed CentOS is the way to go in our book – CentOS 5.8 – 64 has performed marvelously with little memory leakage and able to be configured for both security and performance – Of course configuration suitable or preferred by WordPress is the only way to fly.

Cheers, Joe

• Worrds
    • Flash Drive

Joe, it looks like they only offer Centos 6, is that ok? have you tried it?

Also got another response for ubuntu, I admit am not good with OS’s but I know I do well with whm/cpanel, however, I read somewhere a long time ago that the OS on a server could make the sites though cpanel faster if chosen right… is that true?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Worrds,

Thank you for the additional questions and we are not running CentOS 6 yet so I do not have comment concerning 6 – not enough experience with it to give a fair opinion.

Every piece of the hosting makes an ideal configuration, your only as fast as your slowest moving part or allocated part in most VPS settings i.e. CPU, RAM etc.

Just picking the right OS does not make the whole – but picking a good one like CentOS certainly will not hurt.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.