Which theme for this site idea/design?

I'm building a site that will feature classified-ads (intend to use the 'classifieds' plugin), but don't know which theme is best for this. Reason for the two designs is that I'm not sure whether to have the classifieds categories showing on the home page or if I should have a separate page/section for the classifieds...

The two designs are in the following post...

Thanks if anyone can advise

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Andrew,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Personally, I would have something about the website and signup plans etc on the home page and then have a different section for the classifieds however you want to go for any of your designs, I'd prefer the first one. Its more intuitive

Our Classifieds plugin can be used with almost any theme. It supports shortcodes so that should not be a problem.

I reckon try and go with the first design. Are you looking for theme suggestions as well or you have already got themes in place ?

PS : The attachments are not available from the contact form however if you create a thread from here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/ (start a discussion) then you can attach them :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Andrew
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

OK, so the classifieds plugin is good for most themes - that's the main thing, so thanks for that :slight_smile: And thanks also for your suggestions. The second design was actually the first idea as originally I wanted the site to be a news oriented one for a certain topic with a classified-ads section on another page, but then I thought that visitors might get too bogged-down with the news bits and not click on/visit the classifieds page, hence the other design where the whole thing is in classified-ads mode - but I'm still undecided :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, thanks again...

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Andrew,

If I were you and had different content like news, classifieds directory etc then I'd simply go with Multisite and keep different content on different subsites.

I always find that easier to manage :wink:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

For something like that?

Start with 320Press (Bootstrap) then build out the custom post types using WP-Types. If you're not a serious designer, then seriously consider paying for Views to build your templates in GUI mode.

Here's the thing though.

You're working from a wireframe and that means you need a custom design. You aren't going to just find a theme that fits this perfectly. You'll need to get your hands dirty and learn new skills/systems.

If you're feeling uber-gui, then look into Genesis or Pagelines. They should still be compatible with types/views.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Sure thing man.

On a side note -

Once you guys get the CustomPress features up to speed, I'll gladly recommend it again. The field generator is a must though and something like the Views and Cred components would really be necessary with this community.

Right now I can only recommend CP for post types & taxonomies but not full scale application-type behavior.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Honestly, man, Post 2 Posts is GPL. There are a dozen ways to bundle it's features into CustomPress, the most extreme of which would be to make the light version of the plugin free then add paid modules (see: advanced custom fields).

CP is great for registering post types but ACF owns fields and without Post 2 Posts... well my favorite quote is: "Without this plugin I'd be crying quietly in a corner some where."

Figure out a way to GUI the relationships and you'll have a monster.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Honestly, man, Post 2 Posts is GPL. There are a dozen ways to bundle it's features into CustomPress, the most extreme of which would be to make the light version of the plugin free then add paid modules (see: advanced custom fields).

Let me call @Arnold for his thoughts on this thread so that we can keep this on

• Andrew

Hi everyone, sry for late reply... I think I'll go with my first idea as PC recommends, as I agree it's more intuitive. This way I can keep everything within the classified-ads framework which will make managing the site easier.
    I'm assuming o.c that the classified plugin allows me to change permissions from one classified section to another, in which case I should be able to setup the Articles/News, Showcase, Galleries & Resources sections so that they cannot be altered or edited by subscribers.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for posting back :slight_smile:

I'm assuming o.c that the classified plugin allows me to change permissions from one classified section to another, in which case I should be able to setup the Articles/News, Showcase, Galleries & Resources sections so that they cannot be altered or edited by subscribers.

It would allow you to setup classified ads in different categories however the permissions are setup plugin wide and not category wide.

It allows you to specify what all a role can do :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Andrew

Thanks PC. So from that, I take it that permissions are global, that they are applied to all categories or sections? If so, How would I allow subscribers to place ads in one lot of categories but not in others - that is, not in the Articles/News, Showcase, Galleries & Resources categories or sections.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Andrew,

Sorry for the delay, I had a family emergency and was away from work for a couple of days.

I take it that permissions are global, that they are applied to all categories or sections? If so, How would I allow subscribers to place ads in one lot of categories but not in others - that is, not in the Articles/News, Showcase, Galleries & Resources categories or sections.

Classifieds is a custom post type with custom taxonomies so its categories would be different than the categories from other post types, if you are wanting to block your users from being able to post in one classified category and being able to post in other category, then you can try something like : http://wordpress.org/plugins/role-scoper/ and see if that works out for you.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.