White Labelling a Wordpress Theme

Hi

I am using a a WP theme that I bought the rights to do whatever I want to it and then to be able to resell this theme under my own brand.

Before I tackle the process of redesigning the look of the theme graphically, I am trying to find out how I would go about white labeling the entire theme so that there is no reference to the original theme name.

For example if I take a theme from wpmudev, Business Services 2.4.3 by Tammie Lister - WPMU DEV - The WordPress Experts. When I look through the source code I can see that throughout the source code the name of the theme appears "businessservices". How does one go about changing the name of the them to say "businessopportunities", so that every where you look in the source code the reference to original is now changed?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there snimby, welcome to the WPMU Dev community! :slight_smile:

I am trying to find out how I would go about white labeling the entire theme so that there is no reference to the original theme name.

The easiest way is to use something like BBEdit or Dreamweaver to search through the code for specific references.

Without seeing the code at hand, it would be hard to give anything more specific on this.

How does one go about changing the name of the them to say "businessopportunities", so that every where you look in the source code the reference to original is now changed?

Just change it?

I refer to BBEdit because thats what I'm currently using, but many editors are similar. Its has a search and replace feature where I stick in a term I want to replace and then its replacement.

Be careful with this though, if you inadvertently change things which shouldn't be then it could cause issues. For example lets imaging a theme was just call "IF" Searching and replacing IF would then conditional loops.

So as you see if your not careful with such tools it can be problematic.

I'm all for front end branding but don't personally change credits within the code if I'm going to distribute it, I think its bad taste not giving credit where credit is due. But if you have a license and the developer does not mind, then fair enough :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

• Enigmamedia

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the follow up and ideas. I thought about Dreamweaver but never thought about BBEdit. My goal is to really just rename the theme name associated throughout the code. The name right targets a niche market in the food industry and I want to target the local market industry.

I was also looking at changing some of the widgets around and trying to bring a few widget from another theme I own and integrate them into this theme. End result a theme that looks different enough from the original.

As for credits to source code, not that will not change. I believe in giving credit where its due.

I posted another request earlier on widgets. Any feedback would be very welcome.

Thank you

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.