White screen of death despite checking plugins/themes/htaccess

Hi there

I have a site hosted on GoDaddy and stupidly managed to delete the public_html folder containing the website, due to trying to add a test ftp user.

I managed to restore the wordpress folder and I can access the backend of wordpress now. I have done a reinstall of the last update of Wordpress to ensure the core files are as they should be. I also recreate the .htaccess file as couldn't get onto the front-end and just got a blank page. (the white screen!! Arrggh)

So I seem to have everything as it was but am seeing nothing. I have tried renaming plugins in case it was a rogue plugin file. Nothing. So renamed it back and then did the same with the theme folder to see if that was the issue.

So now I am a bit stumped. I am not sure what else to try as I have gone through the systematic problem solving on most forums under 'white screen of death'.

There must be something I am missing, but I think my knowledge just ran out!

Please help!!

• Jude

Hey there minki_malkin

Hope all is well with you and you are keeping fine !

Are you getting any errors on the console ?
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Your_Browser_to_Diagnose_JavaScript_Errors

Also can you turn on WP_DEBUG and post the exact error messages you see here ?
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a fantastic day !

Cheers
    Jude

• minki_malkin

Hi there. The only error message I am getting with both DEBUG options enabled is in the back-end WP Dashboard - this says Notice: add_object_page is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use add_menu_page() instead. in /home/[sitename]/public_html/wpdevapp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3707

Nothing in the developer console within the browser as detailed in your link - when accessing the site itself.

• minki_malkin

This is a list of all the things I have done so far;
    Disabled all plugins
    Disabled all themes and reverted to default TwentySixteen (I don't get a preview in any theme)
    Checked for white space in wp-config.php and functions.php in theme.
    Uploaded new core files for wp-includes and wp-admin
    The only other things mentioned for this topic include using a cache plugin but none is running on the site
    Deleted .htaccess and reset using Permalinks save
    Checked the wp-config.php for any line which is not a WordPress default and comment out
    Tried to increase PHP memory within wp-config.php - checked memory and it is set at 90Mb
    Turned on debug but only a notice shows, no other errors ; add_object_page is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use add_menu_page() instead...
    There appear to be no errors on Wordfence scan or diagnostics (and disabled Wordfence too in case a security aspect was causing the issue)
    Checked directory and file permissions

I need to reiterate that deleting a test FTP account annoyingly deleted public_html the root folder (without warning!) so I had to run a restore of the Wordpress folder (installation in a subfolder, not in root), which seemed to work fine, I can access the admin panel, see everything but the site itself will not show. So I am obviously missing something else!

At the moment I have an index.html file with a 'maintenance' message just so it is not completely blank. If I remove this, the site comes up with a blank page.

• Luís

Hi minki_malkin ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Can you send us the FTP and database details of your website, so we can give a closer look to check if we are missing something? If yes, please send it privately through our contact form:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Luis Lopes"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - phpmyadmin/cPanel credentials (url/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/information

Cheers, Luís

• minki_malkin

Just to report here, I finally worked out what the issue was. As I had deleted everything from Public_html - and having to restore all folder and files, I hadn't realised that the new default index.php I had copied into the root folder needed to point to the WordPress install which had been installed into a different folder.

So this
    /** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
    require( dirname( __FILE__ ) . '/wp-blog-header.php' );

Had to be changed to
    /** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
    require( dirname( __FILE__ ) . '/{name of wordpress directory}/wp-blog-header.php' );

Simple mistake and one I should have realised! Hopefully, this might help someone with the same issue.

Thank you for your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.