White screen on front end of site after Coursepress update

Hey there, during the holidays I jumped online for client Dear Handmade Life and ran backups and software updates for them, saw some really funky things with updating to latest version of Coursepress. Reverted to backup of site and put aside until I was fully functioning back in office, now it's time to dig in.

Set up staging here and replicated the issue this morning:
http://dearhandmade.staging.wpengine.com/

When user is not logged in, they can see site fine.
When user logs in, white screen of death.

As an admin, when I log in, I get white screen of death on front end, but I can go to back end of site and get around fine.

Support access has been granted on staging site, looking forward to working out the kinks on this. Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Steph,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your staging site and it looks like it may be relatively simple issue (hopefully). The site is quite complex and the CoursePress Pro may require a bit more resources than previous version.

The site however is running on memory limited to 40M so let's start with raising it. To do this, add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your staging site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Make sure that it's located above the "/* That's all, stop editing... */" line and then clear caches and check the site again. If that doesn't help try switching PHP for the site (if that is possible) to at least 5.6.26 version or - better yet - to 7.0 if available as your current PHP instance is quite outdated.

If none of that works, let me know and I'll further investigate it.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Steph Calvert

Good morning! Thanks so much for getting back to me on this - obviously this turned out to be a low priority project... Dug in again this morning on the staging site.

Did a live chat with wpengine this morning and they could either upgrade me to php 5.6 or 7 - one of the client's key pieces of software showed that it would probably not be compatible with 7 so I'm going to have to address how we deal with that over the next few months since it's tied in with a major conference they host every year. I did have them bump it up to 5.6, though, and added the line of memory code you asked to have added to wp config on the staging site, and same issue.

When I'm not logged in, front end of site is fine.
    When I log in as admin, I can see back end of site, but front end is white screen.

Thanks for digging in a little more for me, granted support access. Let me know what next steps are.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Steph,

Thank you for letting me know about that.

I would like to check the site closer, it seems though that the support access that you granted will not let me in. When I try to use it, I'm getting redirected to the /login page and not getting logged in. I assume that there's some security plugin that's causing that.

I think then it would be best if I could access your staging site directly (that would also give me a secure way to dig a bit deeper on a WP install/files/db level if necessary) so please send in

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - login URL and admin account login credentials (may be a temporary admin account) data
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I'll need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

I'll then access the site directly and investigate what is causing the issue.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Steph!

I checked the site and it turned out that the culprit here was an MU plugin that was supposed to hide some parts of CoursePress. I think it was created for previous (1.x) versions of CoursePress and since 2.x is based on a code that's been rewritten from scratch, it might no longer be compatible.

Your staging site should now be running fine. If you remove the "hide-unhide.php" file from "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder of your live site it should also work fine with CoursePress 2.x. I have also responded to your e-mail directly.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.