WHM Question

ok... this is probably a stupid question but Im not sure so I gotta ask.

Im setting up a company that is going to offer shared hosting, as well as a multisite for blogging for now Im using 1 VPS to get the framework setup but as my company grows... Ill expand to multiple VPS/Dedicated servers... now my problem is this...

I would like my main company to have my primary host name hostname.com but I would also like that hostname.com to be a dedicated IP as its going to also be the location of the multisite wordpress install.

Now for the question... if I set the WHM for IP#1 (the main shared IP) can I set my website which is the main domain for IP#2 dedicated. I had set it and when I wanted to access root WHM I just entered the IP#1:2087 and it was working fine however I kept getting this mail:

(host.maindomain.com) resolves to (IP#huh? some crazy unknown IP). It should resolve to (IP#1). Please be sure that the contents of /etc/hosts are configured correctly, and also that there is a correct 'A' entry for the domain in the zone file.

So am I doing something wrong here?

Im sure I made this question as clear as mud but hopefully you can get the idea...

Im sure its as simple as adding a A entry for host.(maindomain) to point to the proper IP but would that screw up the wildcard dns Ill need for my wordpress multisite

Thanks