WHMCS Integration Plugin Questions

I get the following notice on installation of WHMCS Integration Plugin, "PHP open_basedir is on".

Also, the portal shortcode using my theme CSS shows the icons crashing into the text with the line spacing looking way to close. Is there a way to modify this?

Regards,
Gary

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Gary -

Will your web host let you place a custom php.ini file in your WHMCS folder or plugin folder to turn open_basedir off in PHP? If yes, that may be a really good way to overcome this. open_basedir can be bad news on some servers.

I've noticed a little flakiness with CSS as well. You may need to fix a couple things in your theme's CSS as an override, but it will be worth it. This is a great integration plugin!

• Wolfgang
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Will....

Thanks for the quick response... I've made the request to my host about open_basedir off in PHP, waiting for reply.

I need to bone up on CSS, but it looks like anything placed in the plugin CSS folder is overridden by the theme. I'm not really certain where to attack the problem in my theme's CSS without messing up a lot of other details.

• Will Ashworth

Yeah, good move. The host will be able to tell you, as each server is setup a little differently.

If a custom php.ini is an option for you, I'd recommend only using it inside WordPress and not WHMCS, unless you have a really good backup and can make sure your WHMCS installation is protected just in case of the need to roll back.

In the end, open_basedir off is better for you IMHO.

RE: CSS

If you open style.css in your theme, you should be able to override even the styles set by the WHMCS plugin. Just be really specific with your targeting so you don't mess up styles for the rest of your theme.

I like to use inspector in Chrome for this to "test" something locally before it even goes to the server. At least that way you can goof around without any risk of breaking styles.

• Will Ashworth

In a nutshell, open_basedir does this...

The open_basedir function defines the locations or paths from which PHP is allowed to access files using functions like fopen() and gzopen(). If a file is outside of the paths defined by open_basdir, PHP will refuse to open it. You cannot use a symbolic link as a workaround, because the path that the symbolic link resolves to falls under the restrictions of the open_basedir function.

It can be a good thing I guess under some circumstances, but generally I see software recommending it off...just creates too many issues.

• Wolfgang
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

They are ezpzhosting.co.uk.

This is what I got. Looks like its not going to work for me.

------------------------------

Hi Gary

I'm afraid it isn't possible to disable this as it's a security feature designed to stop scripts accessing files outside of their own directories. If this is required the site would need to be hosted on a VPS.

If you need any more help, please let me know.

Regards,

Dan
    ---------------------------------

These guys are a bit paranoid, after some serious attacks last year.

• Wolfgang
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm sure there must be a reason for the error. I hate to expose my installation for the reason of a plugin not working properly. Specially when it comes to this type of service.

In any case I pushed an email to support for clarification.

• Will Ashworth

Yep, great idea. I was going to suggest we have a staff member have a dev look at this so we know for sure. Especially since WHMCS deals heavily with financials and personal information.

May as well give them enough info to test with. What does your hosting setup for WordPress and WHMCS?

For me, it's like this...

mywebsite.com
    clients.mywebsite.com

I basically have my two separate systems in separate hosting accounts on the same server, one of them with its own static IP and SSL (WHMCS). May be worth getting that here so the developer can have an idea of how you're setup.

• Will Ashworth

I don't see too much wrong with that setup, but take backups often, as a vulnerable plugin in WordPress could let a malicious hacker gain access to your "/clients" subdirectory and they could wipe out everything.

I'm not saying don't pursue what this thread is about, cause any plugin could cause that like an outdated TimThumb version or something, but backup regularly just in case. There's a reason I separated my WHMCS from the rest of my website. Only WHMCS touches WHMCS's files.

Staff, can you have a developer chime in on this thread?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Wolfgang,

Sorry to see that you are having issues with your WordPress installation, WHMCS WP integration plugin, and your hosting package.

The first thing that pops into mind is that how in the world are you going to resell hosting on a shared hosting plan? That is what WHMCS does, it is to resell hosting.

In any event the message regarding the PHP open_basedir is on is of concern to me and do not know what effects this will have on the plugins performance.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

open_basedir interferes with cURL which is used to talk with the WHMCS install and get the pages from WHMCS. It may work OK depending on how they have it configured but it is a source of problems which is why we display the warning for trouble shooting purposes.

One thing that may happen is that it might prevent files from being written to the cache directory in the plugin directory. This is absolutely necessary because without it cURL can't track cookies and scripts properly. If there are files other than index.php in cache you should be alright.

Try it and see.

As far as CSS. is concerned, every theme handles things differently so CSS usually needs tweeking because we only put very basic and neutral CSS in for the plugin. There is a CSS file in the plugin that oyu could add changes to, but be aware that when you update it gets overwritten. SAme if you do it on the theme side unless you arrange it as a child theme. Justbe aware and keep backups.

• Wolfgang
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Arnold....

Thanks for the reply. From what I understand WHMCS really doesn't depend itself on open_basdir being off. This is dependent on the plugin requiring something like curlopt_followlocation? I can reset this on my VPS, but I'm afraid this is not going to happen on most shared reseller hosting services for which I'm intending to use WHMCS and this plugin. In any case I will give it a try.

I checked the cache file and noticed a few text, jscript and png images besides the index.php.

One other thing I'm having a heck of time adjusting the CSS padding on the widgets. Inserting the CSS into my theme does nothing to pad the left side of the .header which is pulled from WHMCS templates. Any CSS suggestions would be appreciated?

• Wolfgang
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm running into a little problem with the breadcrumb navigation on the WHMCS Integration Plugin. When I run a couple of levels deep, say in the knowledge base, and then select back through the hierarchy, the plugin loses control and sends me directly to the original WHMCS portal template?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.