WHMCS MU Sub domains vs Sub directory

Hi, I'm new to WP Multisite and I'm trying to figure out the best structure for a business offering.

We have a primary domain (example.com), and are looking to host WP sites (mobile landing pages) for many businesses. I'm trying to understand if business1.example.com or example.com/business1 is a better architecture. I understand there may be a limitation for using the sub domain structure if we grow to hundreds of hosted businesses, so I don't know if there is the same limitation on the example.co/business1 structure. The sub domains I've been experimenting with (business1.example.com) create the example.com/business1 folder structure in the directory, so is it really different?

I've researched this, but I haven't found any clear direction. I'm sorry if this is really basic, but I'd like to go into this setting it up correctly. If you have anysuggestions, or links to information, I'd sure appreciate it.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

We have a primary domain (example.com), and are looking to host WP sites (mobile landing pages) for many businesses. I'm trying to understand if business1.example.com or example.com/business1 is a better architecture.

I suppose really it is down to preference.

business1.example.com
    business2.example.com
    business3.example.com

All look like different sites to me.

example.com/business1
    example.com/business2
    example.com/business3

Are all part of the same site to me.

You might want to do some research on how Google and all other search engines also see the difference there when they are indexing websites.

I understand there may be a limitation for using the sub domain structure if we grow to hundreds of hosted businesses,

What limitations are they?

Edublogs host over a million blogs.

WordPress.com host over 30 million blogs.

All sub domains.

Anyway, for me I prefer sub subdomains, works well for me. I've never had any issues and search engine indexing has always worked real well for me.

Take care.

• richguynetwork

Hello TX Dude:

From 4+ years of business on the internet I have seen that people prefer sub domains (xx.domain.com) as apposed to directories (domain.com/xx). I would also like to suggest that you look to see if your hosting provider has a limitations on the number of sub domains you can have.

Maybe the staff can mention if their domain plugin runs everything through a database for sub domains instead of depending on the hosting service. If that is the case you can have unlimited sub-domains. but could get slower as your database increases in size.

WPMU has a Database plugin to help larger systems keep their load times down.

as Timothy stated it is really just a matter of preference.

• Timothy Bowers

I would also like to suggest that you look to see if your hosting provider has a limitations on the number of sub domains you can have.

That shouldn't be affected here because you use a wildcard domain.

So you never physically set up virtual hosts for them thus not being restricted by cPanel or Plesk (or similar) on the amount you create.

If a host doesn't allow wild card domains then you could just control the DNS at registrar level to do it instead.

Maybe the staff can mention if their domain plugin runs everything through a database for sub domains instead of depending on the hosting service. If that is the case you can have unlimited sub-domains. but could get slower as your database increases in size.

Not sure how you mean here?

When a wild card is set up, everything.domain.com goes to domain.com the plugin then route thirdpartydomains.com to the appropriate blog, just the same as it would sub directories. So nothing is different there.

The wild card and sub directory part are handled by WordPress.

Thanks for mentioning our DB plugin, that is here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.