WHMCS + WPMUDEV + WordPress: basic integration / deployment Question

Hey all,

Let me start by saying I just joined WPMUDEV, and as you might expect: I am flipping and so excited to be part of it's awesomeness!! :slight_smile:

Let's get on with my question, and please do not mock, I'm a newbie in many aspects :smiley::

I am considering getting a WHMCS account to manage, bill etc... And saw you have an awesome plugin to integrate it into WP.

I am not going to use Multisite for now.

The point of my question is very basic:

As I understand, WHMCS needs to be deployed on a live URL / "website", but if my goal is to integrate it into part of an existing WordPress site, how can this be achieved, or can it be achieved so I do not end up having two deployments (the "regular" WHCMS installation and deployment + my wordpress WHMCS "shop"), and therefore 2 fron-ends / live sites...

I am trying to surf WHMCS Docs, WPMUDEV Docs, the net generally, but I am not able to find any doc that explains me this basic setup or deployment...

To make it short: where can I check how to understand the process of setting up WHMCS into wordpress without having 2 URLS / Frontends :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for any advice / links etc... And sorry for the "clumsy" message.

• Sajid

Hi @7guavas,

Hope you are doing good today and very warm welcome to WPMU DEV :slight_smile:

Using our WPMU DEV you can keep all pages of WHMCS under WordPress setup including frontend and both. That said you can manage it right under your WordPress dashboard.

The good starting point to set it up is our usage guide section.

Please take a look at it and feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• sergio

Thank you Sajuid. I already surfed the usage, but maybe my understanding is limited:

I do not need to know (right now :smiley:) how to integrate WHMCS into WordPress,

I wished to understand the fundamentals of the previous process: where does my base installation of WHMCS would "live" and how would I prevent having 2 WHMCS front-Ends (one in the domain I installed WHMCS in, as it's required by them, the other in my WordPress site), once I integrate it through WPMUDEV into my WordPress site.

I think I am being "messy" trying to explain myself, but indeed I am messed up.

Let me put it this way:

I am considering purchasing a WHMCS License to manage my billing, to have the customers purchase my products etc... But I am trying to understand the mechanics first.

As far as I read in Whmcs documentation, you need an URL destination to install and operate WHMCS.

But I don't Want to use the "native WHMCS" frontend for my customers/prospects, I rather want it integrated in my Wordpress site, which necessarily is sitting in a different URL.

So my "dumb" question is: would I end up having 2 urls: 1 for the previous WHMCS download and install, another for my wordpress site + Whmcs integrated into it.

Hence, I would have 2 frontends live on the internet? Which would be very messy.

I am sure there is a way to prevent this... Maybe I have to FIRST Setup my site + WPMUDEV WHMCS plugin, and create a folder in my server's Wordpress site directory into which I install WHMCS, and then use WPMUDEV plugin?

Or is there another way (and link related to this) which I am missing and can help me.

Of course I've opened a ticket in WHMCS asking the same, but no answer :slight_frown:

Thank you again for any light on this matter!

• Sajid

Hi @7guavas,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am not sure what are their license but we have a section from where you can get answers from other members who are already using the WHMCS. They would love to share the user experience.

I am also flagging Tyler Postle here for his valuable feedback on this matter. I must admit he might have more information about WHMCS then me :slight_smile: However he is not online at the moment but will post a reply as soon as possible.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Tyler Postle

Hey Sergio,

Since our WP integration plugin needs to pull the content from your WHMCS installation, it needs to be live. Otherwise your WP version won't be able to get any content and you'll see an error.

A possibly workaround here is to redirect your WHMCS install to your WP install EXCEPT when the referrer is your WP install. This way your WP site can still get the content from WHMCS without being redirected, but everyone else that tries to access your WHMCS install will be redirected to WP.

This here should help you with the redirect based on referrer: http://stackoverflow.com/a/13106311

I would recommend installing WHMCS in a subdomain of your main install.

So you would have whmcs.yourdomain.com

and yourdomain.com = WP site.

Then the .htaccess code would look like this:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://yourdomain.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^/?first-page.html$ http://yourdomain.com/ [L,R]

and you would place that inside a .htaccess file inside the subdomain folder where the WHMCS install is. I think that should work :slight_smile:

Hope this is helpful! Let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.