Who offers best WP hosting?

I'm trying to find out which hosting company would be best to deal with. I'm currently with blue host, and I was also looking at WP engine and want to know what people's opinions were of WP engine service?

My plan is to have a multisite installation and build WordPress sites for local businesses, potentially having more than 50 sites. So I'm looking for a hosting company with good security, etc.

Take care
Eric

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @cyberlinksmedia

IMO, there's no such thing as "best hosting". Your choice of hosts depends on several factors. See this excellent article for example: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/what-type-of-hosting-for-wordpress/

As for WP-Engine, their service is designed specifically for WordPress. So that's a fair choice. The most common problem I hear folks are experiencing with them is with their proprietary Varnish cache routine. Just do a search of these forums and you'll find several related issues :slight_smile:

My only advice is, if you're planning on some serious building and development, do not choose a shared hosting plan under any circumstances. You're much better off with a dedicated IP, VPS host, etc. That type of plan usually comes in at about $30/mo, but you'll save yourself a heck of lot of time and headaches.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I hear great things about WP Engine but as Patrick pointed out, the Varnish cache seems to cause all sorts of issues too.

For client hosting I recommend a Hostgator Baby account.

I absolutely agree with Patrick though that if you are going to host that many sites on behalf of other clients that you go for your own VPS. There's a bit of learning curve involved and ideally you want it to be set up properly before you install your sites - better firewall, brute force intrusion blocking, tighten up security by disabling anon ftp, changing SSH ports, upgrading Apache, ensuring offsite backups are in place etc.

I have my own VPS with hostgator for US$40/month and have a couple of hosting clients that fully pay for that in monthly hosting fees.

• cyberlinksmedia
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

thanks for the advice.

i am more of a web designer and not a server expert. i have experimented with vps and got very confused. i would probably do more damage to my clients sites than hackers. so i need some type of managed, supported hosting that's why i am invesigating wp engine. my clients would not be updating the sites only myself and a friend.

take care

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.