Why a max number of registered sites?

Re: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/profile.php?page=vidapi

We currently allow each WPMU DEV Premium user to register up to 20 domains. In the future we may allow more to be purchased for an additional fee.

Re: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/profile.php?page=ustapi

We currently allow each WPMU DEV Premium user to register up to 10 sites. In the future we may allow more to be purchased for an additional fee.

Is registering domains at this page ONLY for the video embedding and Anti-Splog plugins or for other purposes as well? For example, can I use all other plugins except video embed (max 20) and anti-splog (max 10) on an unlimited number of my other sites and client sites, including WPMU DEV updates and other purposes?

Thank you.

• aecnu

Greetings Clifford & Ren,

The two limitations you are referring are on those particular two products only to prevent abuse thereof. Abuse of bandwidth and possibly wide spread unauthorized distribution in which would also result in abuse of bandwidth which I am sure you both can understand.

can I use all other plugins except video embed (max 20) and anti-splog (max 10) on an unlimited number of my other sites and client sites, including WPMU DEV updates and other purposes?

To answer Clifford's question above directly, yes the rest of them you can use on an unlimited number of your sites and clients sites.

To respond to Ren's friends, they have no idea how many hours I have lost due to Free plugins creators not updating a certain plugin they produced trying to find a viable replacement not to mention possible security issues.

As a regular WPMU Dev member I found WPMU Dev membership invaluable to have their updates as WordPress keeps making changes to their format requiring changes to mine.

Since being a member of WPMU Dev I do not wait months for fixes to the plugins (and in some cases never fixed) when WordPress screws everything up with their update like the recent one from 3.2 to 3.3 - WPMU Dev developers had my plugins ready for the 3.3+ mission in no time at all and other then doing the mostly simple automated updates - it was a breeze to having the fix to my broken WordPress web sites.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev members!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• fitoussi

Ren,
    you are not going to find free plugins that does 1/3 of what WPMUDEV plugins do. you are not going to find support for the free plugin. updated most likely to stop at some point with free plugins. free plugins made by deferent developers and so there is not (most of the time) integration between those plugin. you probably have no idea yet what you can build with the plugins WPMUDEV gives you. and i am not a staff member of WPMUDEV i am just giving you a great a device not to use free plugins.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey fitoussi, thanks for the kind words there, its always appreciated! :slight_smile:

Just echo what Joe was saying here for the others. The limit is only for API keys and thus only affects those two plugins. Providing an unlimited amount of APIs could become costly with bandwidth, there would be nothing to stop people selling them and it could be abused.

In reality though, most people running multiple sites will run their sites with one WordPress Multisite and so this would never affect them, because the one API works for the whole install. :slight_smile:

Take care.
    Tim.

• Clifford P

Thanks for the replies.

Is there a way to hide my Updates key from clients on client sites?
    How is the key stored in the database - plain text or like a password field?

What's the suggested resolution for the situation where a client takes their hosting elsewhere (to where I don't have access to it)? Then they kinda just 'stole' my key and they don't realize that they even get that benefit of these sort of plugins vs freebies - but essentially that's what would happen in this hypothetical scenario.

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

Really the keys should be just for your use. But I know people use them for their clients and there isn't a restriction there.

You will want to check this out:

http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/forums/148158-wpmu-dev-development-and-feature-requests/suggestions/2601083-please-hide-our-api-key-in-the-update-notification

Note that currently its being speced out, which is simple planned. :slight_smile:

I guess what you are looking for is a way to have people auth with you, and you auth with us? That way you could restrict those third parties direct from your install?

Take care

• Timothy Bowers

Hey thirdriver.

The limitation is based per subscription on API keys for use in only those two plugins. As I'm sure you can appreciate with hundreds of thousands of queries it costs both resources and funds to manage and run.

Because of that there is a limit on the amount of API keys generated but no limit on API queries. So if you installed this (video) on a multisite install which is busy and handles hundreds or thousands of blogs it would still be just the one api key required for that install.

Take care.