Why are subscriptions not updating via the PayPal Gateway?

We are using Membership with the PayPal gateway. We've configured the IPN correctly and it works but it only seems to work about 10% of the time. We have a large number of users who have registered via PayPal but in most cases, while the account gets created in Wordpress, it fails to add the subscription after they complete the PayPal process. So this leaves me with two problems.

1) How to I ensure that the subscription registration process completes properly?

2) How do I properly fix the accounts that did not complete properly. I noticed that in some of the video docs it says that manually setting the PayPal gateway could be problematic.

Please advise.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Cagle,

Hope you're doing well today!

The fact that it works sometimes but not others is odd. What is the status code that the IPN gives out when it's not working? You can check that via your PayPal account:

My overview > History > IPN History.

That should help us find the issue.

As for fixing the existing members, just applying the membership manually should work, keeping the gateway at Paypal standard. Since the subscription is still setup correctly in PayPal then when that payment comes in and triggers the IPN it should add the additional month or whichever length the renewal is for.

Look forward to hearing back on this Cagle!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.