Why are there two different paypal checkout pages?

It's come to my attention that customers can get different Paypal checkout pages. Sometimes it's pretty straight forward, other times not.
I contacted Paypal and received the following response:
-------
I reviewed your website and refer it to the screenshot you sent us and it appears that your buttons are set up differently. Some buttons was created and integrated using our new 'Express Checkout' button which will show a different page when making a purchase. The first picture is our 'Simplified Express Checkout' while the second picture appears to be our 'Classic Interface'.

I recommend to consult your web developer and ask if he or she can create a button and integrate it using just one interface in order to avoid any confusion. I assure you that this is just depends on what or how your buttons were created and how it was integrated.
------------

Does this make any sense to you, and how can I get this resolved?

Thanks,
Michael

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there,

I wasn't able to get the classic gateway in checkout on your site at first, seems it only happens when I select Canada as my country. I also tested this on my install too.

I'm guessing here, but it seems like Canada maybe doesn't have the new interface yet, I don't know for sure but it seemed like that from both your and my install. I'm going to ask my colleague @Tyler Postle have a look at this, he's based in Canada. You could also double check with Paypal in the mean time.

Take care.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

Hope you're doing well today!

I've been doing some tests here and it looks like Tim was correct in saying that Canada doesn't have the new interface yet.

I created a new button with my merchant account, it still linked to the same old interface. I also went to some popular online Canadian stores and they still had the old interface as well.

In fact, I didn't even know what the new interface looked like until recently because I've always been fed the old one :p now I want the new one!

Hope this helps! Let us know if any further questions come up.

Have a great rest of your day.

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. If you do happen talk to PayPal again and need any assistance with their response just post back here. Always happy to help!

• Mike

Hi, this is what our store manager says:

"This is happening to people ordering in the U.S. as well, myself included. As a matter of fact if you go through the checkout process and once your in Paypal press the "cancel and return to site" button then click on checkout again you can be taken to the classic interface or the express checkout. I've sat there and done that 50 times in a row and would be taken to one than the next time to the other, or one a couple times in a row then the other a couple times in a row. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it."

Any other ideas?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.