Why are URL paths not working after site is cloned?

I'm having trouble with the cloned website redirect.

Example: If i go to the cloned site (abogado.alexmendozalaw.com) it comes up fine. But if I click on any of the links it redirects me to alexmendozalaw.com. The redirect is not working correctly.

I'd like to keep all the styling for the site, but change the page content for Spanish speaking population. Having difficulty as the cloner did not change the urls to the new subdomain path.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Nicholas,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

When cloning the main site you need to ensure that you aren't including any of the network wide databases. These usually start with something like wp_network. there could be others as well depending on the plugins you're using.

Did you have those tables unchecked when cloning?

A lot of users wanted to be able to clone the main site, which I think is an awesome feature too, but adding in meant it wouldn't be quite as user friendly as cloning subsites - just because of all the network tables included with it.

Let me know if not including those tables resolves the issue here!

Look forward to hearing back :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Nicholas,

When you cloned the site do you remember selecting the wp_network tables? If you clone it again and make sure you don't select those tables, does it work in the new site?

To do this just re-do the cloning process to a new subsite and make sure to unselect those tables. Then see if it works correctly :slight_smile:

If you grant support access and don't mind us creating a subsite based off your main site for you then we can try this for you.

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back Nicholas!

PS. Our support doesn't require any additional payment :slight_smile:

Just for an FYI, for large jobs, you can always post on our jobs board: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Ooh, hey Nicholas, I just noticed you posted a response in the feedback part, that doesn't show up for me here but I just saw it.

Can you grant support access so I can see exactly what is happening?

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Nicholas,

Thanks for granting support access. I noticed you haven't upgraded your network yet since updating to 4.0. Can you go ahead and do that :slight_smile:

I would do it myself, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any reason you hadn't done it yet. Once you've done that, double check your links are still wrong and then post back here and we'll go in for further testing!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

You can "Upgrade Network" via Network Admin > Updates > Upgrade Network.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi nicholas!

I looked around on your site, and I notice that adding a new site is also failing, any new site created through either Cloner or through the Network Admin dash is resulting in a 500 error.

I see you've successfully created a clone of your main site, has anything changed in your set up since you were able to create that clone? Maybe a new theme or plugin?

Did you install Domain Mapping before or after you created that first site?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.