Why can't I add or delete items from my navigation menu?

Don't know what happened, but now I can't add or delete items from my navigation menu. Can you think of anything that would prevent this from happening?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Sergio,

I just took a look at this for you and if you click on the Appearance menu, then it should open it up further and reveal your "Menus" item. Where you can go in and edit the menu. Does that work for you?

You likely have a plugin conflict occurring that is restricting it on your main admin page for some reason. It shows on every other admin page. You can do a plugin test and deactivate all plugins to see if it shows up.

Let us know if you need any further assistance here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Sergio

Started the process of deactivating plugins. Turned off two that were installed at the point where the problem started (one at a time). Still can't edit my menu. But I stopped there because I wanted to ask if deactivating plugins deletes their settings or sets them back to their defaults. Didn't want to start deactivating only to have to reset everything when I eliminate plugins.

The main thing I need to accomplish is to add a "LOG IN" menu item back in. At some point the one I had set up was deleted from my menu when I was trying to add this page to the menu.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Sergio,

Hope you are doing well!

But I stopped there because I wanted to ask if deactivating plugins deletes their settings or sets them back to their defaults.

In most cases, they don't. Your settings should remain in-tact. It's rare that a plugin will lose it's settings upon deactivation.

A safer way to do it is through FTP. You can soft-deactivate plugins by re-naming the /wp-content/plugins folder to something else. ie. /plugins-old

WordPress only recognizes plugins that are in the /plugins folder, so if you re-name it, it won't know they are there. Then when you name it back to /plugins they will all be activate as if it never happened.

The important thing to remember here is to NOT visit your plugins listing page in your dashboard while plugins folder is re-named. Otherwise all your plugins will become deactivated and you will need to re-activate them one-by-one.

Do you mind re-granting support access again? Then I can test out your menus one more time.

Look forward to your reply.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.