Why can't I download plugins and install manually? I have

Why can't I download plugins and install manually? I have the dashboard but I simply don't trust it.

I want to install domain mapping which requires manual intervention anyway and has potential to break a live site.

I run a copy of my site which is under Git control so I want to be able to know exactly what I'm installing and want to just unzip and copy files into place as before. I test then deploy to production. Your silly dashboard just gets in the way.

I hate the WPMU dashboard. It is entirely unnecessary, unwelcome and very ugly.

Where can I download the zip files of plugins?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Tim Hyde,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You can always download and install any plugin manually.

In your case of installing domain mapping plugin just visit https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/ and click on "No thanks, just download directly" link which is just below the button "Install Domain Mapping".

On more information about how to install these plugins manually just read following manuals.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/installing-regular-plugins-on-wpmu/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/using-mu-plugins/

The WPMU DEV dashboard plugin is designed to provide one-click installs and upgrades of all WPMU DEV plugins and themes, immediate access to support and the community – all from the comfort of WordPress.

I don't know why you are hating WPMU dashboard as it provides more comfortable options to install WPMU plugins, uisng this plugin you can install and update WPMU DEV Plugins directly from inside your Dashboard. No more downloading and uploading of zip files. One Click and you are done!

Best regards,

• Tim Hyde

Thanks, that's better.

More like One Click and your site stops working. Several of your plugins have caused issues on live sites when upgrading. Support is not so great here that things get resolved as quick as they should either. So I test and debug before they hit a live site.

But auto updates is one thing, filling my dashboard with your web site, putting your menu Item at the top instead of in the Settings or Plugins section where it belongs is totally out of order imho. But I've ranted about this before as have others.

What this customer wants - auto updates ok if I choose, but without the hideous dashboard. Stay out of my WordPress dashboard!

• Vinod Dalvi

Hey there,

We try our best to test plugin and fix found issues before making it available for public, if any issue did't find in testing and user raises it then we fix it and provide support to the user as early as possible.

The dashboard menu Item is at the top instead of in the Settings or Plugins section because it doesn't best fit in these menus. It can't go in Plugins as it also contains themes and also not in Settings because it contains some menus which are not actually Settings.

Cheers.

• Tim Hyde

Precisely. If I only installed one of your plugins I would still have put up with it.

I know you will never agree with me, but it simply does not belong in the dashboard.

Theme and plugin settings are not part of the everyday workflow of blog users. If they are there is something wrong. Therefore it does not belong in the top section of the menu. It should be at the bottom. if anywhere.

rant, rant yes I know but imagine if every plugin and theme developer did this? It would be one total mess and the end of WordPress. Imagine they too added dashboard widgets in whatever color they saw fit - pink, green, that horrible blue you like? It is utterly irresponsible.

If you are honest, the only reason you can have for putting it where it is and for its existence at all is for marketing your products.

I am paying $150 every three months just so you can be in my face every time I log in? ! If I'm paying that much I can a least rant about it here and plead to you stop this nonsense.

But you won't, so time to plan an exit from dependence on your plugins I think.

• Alexander

Hi @Tim Hyde,

We still make the zip file downloads available through the product page. Just click "No thanks, just download directly"

Just understand we can't at all recommend this anymore. There are alot of issues that can arise without it. The biggest one is update conflicts. When our update plugin isn't present, WordPress will check the wordpress.prg repository for updates. If a developer were to release a plugin with the same folder name, it would update from that source and delete the original plugin.

For more info, check out this page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/update-notifications-plugin-information/

rant, rant yes I know but imagine if every plugin and theme developer did this? It would be one total mess and the end of WordPress. Imagine they too added dashboard widgets in whatever color they saw fit - pink, green, that horrible blue you like? It is utterly irresponsible.

We're not every theme or plugin developer. We manage over 300 products in house. Could you image trying to install and manage all of these individually? With as often as we're releasing plugin updates, this would be a ton of maintenance and extra work for our members.

The WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin isn't just a plugin, it's access to our update API. Many would agree that this is a fantastic solution.

And if you don't like looking at it, you can easily hide it! We even provide instructions for this here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/#usage

Best regards,