Why Cloner is not cloning the site?

Hi,

We are trying to clone our main site (webinarinc.com) and create a demo site (webinarinc.com/demo) but whenever we clone the main site, it just makes the admin dashboard but it does not clone the pages, posts etc. Also, whenever we go to webinarinc.com/demo it just shows a page not found error and under My Sites option at the admin toolbar, the new site doesn't show up there. Can you please help us with this? Thank you.

Regards,
Gilbert Jacob
Webinarinc Admin

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Gilbert Jacob,

I hope you're having a nice day!

To use Cloner you need to create a target site first. From what you're saying I assume that you're trying to copy an existing site but also use the Cloner to create a sub-site at the same time. To make it work, first please create a site and then use Cloner to copy/move/clone the content (full or selected) of the source site to a target site.

If this is not a case and I'm missing something here, please let me know!

Cheers,
    Adam

kyle disher

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.

I just did the process you provided and it still didn't work. I have created webinarinc.com/demo before cloning the main site. And then before I clone the setup I did was Replace existing Site and enter there the demo site. I've also copied all the tables. I'm wondering why this is happening. We were able to use Cloner when we downloaded it the first time.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Gilbert Jacob

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Gilbert Jacob,

Thank you for this follow up.

Before all, I must apologize for turning you in a wrong direction. Actually, you don't have to create a new site to be able to clone an existing one. I guess I was thinking a bit to fast so I referred to our Multisite Content Copier plugin instead. I'm very sorry for this.

That being said, I've accessed your site and tried to clone both your main site and an existing sub-site in various ways and I didn't succeed. I've also tried to do this with Jetpack disabled but still no luck.

However, I wasn't able to replicate the issue on my test setup. All the same steps taken work as a charm.

That's why I'm calling our 2nd-line support for a little help here. I hope they'll be able to find a reason for this behavior as soon as possible. I'd also like to ask you to run a full plugin conflict test as described here (take a look at flowchart) and let me know of the results.

[mistaken link removed by Adam]

Cheers,
    Adam

kyle disher

Hi Adam,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure about what you said "as described here (take a look at flowchart)" because there's no link for the flowchart.

The cloner plugin worked on our end before and I'm not really sure why it's not working now. Getting it fixed will really be a big help. In the meantime, I will try to deactivate the new plugins we installed after we got cloner.

Thanks!

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Gilbert!

I must have had an unfortunate day yesterday, I think. I need to apologize once again. Of course the link I gave you recently was wrong: I'm pretty sure that while doing "copy-and-paste" of an URL skipped this "copy" part and just pasted the link I used in another thread. This is the proper URL I should give you:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

I can see however that you did what I was asking for but it didn't help. As I mentioned previously, I've already asked our 2nd-line support team for help here, so hopefully they'll be able to spot the source of the problem and provide a fix or solution as soon as possible.

Please note though that their response time might be a bit longer than mine here on forum as they are dealing with a lot of complex issue at once. That said, I'm sure it won't take too long.

Please keep an eye on this thread and I'll keep you informed.

Cheers,
    Adam

Jose

Hello there @kyle disher,

Hope you are doing great today.

Have you already tried enabling debug logs and check for errors there?

If you haven't, then please make sure that you have the following lines in your wp-config.php above the line that says '/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */':

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

Then, try to clone the site again.
    A log file will be created in the following location:
    ../wp-content/debug.log

Please let me know if there is some error or any valuable information.

Cheers,
    José

kyle disher

Hi Jose,

I did what you said and I there's no error related to Cloner on the debug file:

[23-Jun-2015 07:38:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:35 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:35 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:35 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:52 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:52 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:52 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:52 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:52 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:38:52 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:39:27 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:39:27 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:39:27 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:39:27 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:39:27 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:39:27 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:54 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:54 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:54 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:55 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:55 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:40:55 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:22 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:22 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:22 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:23 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:23 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:23 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:47 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:47 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:47 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:47 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 804
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:47 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 812
    [23-Jun-2015 07:41:47 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: envato_useremail in /nas/wp/www/cluster-40297/webinarinc/wp-content/plugins/Ultimate_VC_Addons/Ultimate_VC_Addons.php on line 813

Please investigate further. I badly need this plugin.

Thanks!

Vinod Dalvi

Hi @kyle disher,

The PHP notices displayed in your shared log is generated by the Ultimate Addons for Visual Composer plugin that you are using on your site so yo can just try temporary deactivating this plugin and cloning the site to check whether it's causing the issue.

I could confirm the issue on your site by cloning both main and sub sites but i couldn't reproduce the issue on my test site using same "Day and name" permalink settings.

I noticed that the screen which displays cloning progress doesn't display on your site but it displays on my test site as shown in the attached screenshot.

This can be due to plugin/theme conflict on your site or the server issue.

To troubleshoot the issue more in deep I have created a staging site of your live site using WP Engine plugin that you are using on your site but currently it's displaying the following message so i have to wait for some time to get it ready to work.

Your staging site is being built in the background. It can take a long time, especially for large sites.

Let us know when it becomes ready by seeing the status of it on the following path.

Network Admin Area -> WP Engine -> Staging

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

Jose

Hey Kyle,

We will need to run some debugging directly in your staging site.

If you didn't already, please send me the following information for your staging site via contact form :

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jose”
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WP admin/network access.
    - Include FTP host and credentials.

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Cheers,
    José

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Gilbert!

It seems that @Jose is not around at the moment, but I've flagged him in this post just to let him know that the issue is urgent and I've also added a note in our internal system. I apologize it's taking so long, however it seems to be much more complex issue than we all thought at first.

I'm sure either @Jose or one of the 2nd-line support guys will get back to your or pass information to me as soon as humanly possible!

Cheers,
    Adam