Why do I get an Affiliate Debug message onscreen???

By the by - just about any "income-producing" plugin I have tried causes issues.

The Affiliate plug in is just leaving a big orange message at the bottom of the screen. I have noticed (from my testers) that it is also doing the same on the bottom of their screens.

1. What is going on? (why is the message there?)
2. What needs to happen to get rid of it?
3. What is it trying to get you to do? It isn't clear.

Here is the message I get:

"Affiliate Debug : The Not via an Affiliate cookie has been set. This means you are accessing the site via a valid WordPress logged in user. I am ignoring any future affiliate clicks for this browser session. "

• Karen

Aristath

Thanks - that sorted it.

Do I need to have it on? I thought it would help me be alerted if anything was going wrong with the affiliate plug-in and anyone trying to use it...but I notice it was appearing on the page of one of my testers who sent me screenshots about another matter.

What is it for if not for tracking affiliate issues? - which (I thought) should only appear on the admin screen NOT on the screens of users of the site.

Perhaps that could be made clear in the info against the "?" icon if it is there or in the explanation.

It is now off my screen, but I remain puzzled as to when and why you would use that add-on now. Thanks for any explanation.

• Paul

@Karen,

Perhaps that could be made clear in the info against the "?" icon if it is there or in the explanation.

Yes, perhaps we can do a better job of explaining this to users.

It is now off my screen, but I remain puzzled as to when and why you would use that add-on now.

Well consider that we here in support get many many reported issues that affiliate tracking is not working. To help investigate what is going on with the user's site we request they enable the debug add-on. They they can try the affiliate link and it will provide the debug output so they can see if/when an affiliate link is properly being tracked. Many time the admin does not realize how the affiliate restricts things.

For example we have many admins who while logged into their own WP site will try using an affiliate user's URL as a test. Without debug enabled they may wonder why the affiliate tracking did not show the incoming link. But with debug enabled they will see the message showing why.

In future versions we do plan to allow settings debug mode for a specific affiliate for testing instead of global.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.