Why do I get the message "There was a sync problem"when I try to connect my master site to

I installed the plugin user sync on my 2 sites I choose which one is the main and the sub, I got the Main URL and the key that I put into my subsite but when I click on connect this site to the master I got the message"There was a sync problem." And there are only 13 users synchronized but with no roles, no informations.

Could you help me?

Thanks.

Thibault

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thibault,

Hope you're doing well today!

Can you uninstall the user sync options via "Uninstall Options" button on bottom of settings page. Then re-set it up with "debug mode" checked, as seen in my screenshot. Then after seeing that error again can you check the log file :slight_smile: that should give us a hint at what went wrong here.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thibault,

None of those warnings look like they would cause the issue you experienced.

Would you be able to provide support access to both your sites? Then we can have a closer look :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

I notice you only have 1 site using our dashboard, so if you would prefer not to install it on your other you can always email us the login info privately instead.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Thibault
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Dear Tyler,

Thanks for your response, I just provided you the grant access. However I cannot give to grand access for the other site because my plan doesn't allow me to do it. I just send you an email as you said with the login.

Cheers.

Thibault

• Thibault
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Tyler,

Thanks for your email. I email you back yesterday saying the following:
    I got an other issue. When I wanted to sync the users between mabellebox.com and vn.mabellebox.com, the admin user from vn.mabellebox.com has been modified with no admin capabilities. And now I cannot access to my backend on vn.mabellebox.com.(You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.)

The last time I tried the sync, I didn't check "Don't overwrite any existing users (add them as extra users)" and I think the admin user was overwritten with no role. Before that when I tried to sync users with the Don't overwrite any existing users ...... checked, I got only few users updated and no role was updated.)

How can I create an new admin or super admin on vn.mabellebox.com? Because Right now I cannot give you the grant access since I cannot login.

Thank you.

Thibault Detraz

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thibault,

I've just tried turning on debug and I see what you mean. I get the same error.

Would you mind sending in your FTP so I can debug further? I'm thinking the best way to go here would be to temporarily deactivate every other plugin, then try the user sync - this way we shouldn't get those warnings/errors with debug turned on and can see if there are any issues in the logs.

I notice you have a lot of users to sync - that could be part of the issue as well. 4000 users is a lot to sync so your server may be timing out. If you can send in your FTP then I'll be able to take a closer look.

I've just replied back to the email convo we had going before. You can reply to that with FTP.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thibault,

Thanks for sending the FTP. I fixed the debug mode so we can now see the debug log. We needed to manually create the /user-sync/log/ folder for both installs.

I've triggered a sync and it said that it was successful; however, I can't login to your slave site because it has an invalid login token with our support access. Based on the logs though, it doesn't look like it synced all the users over.

Could you re-grant support access just on the slave site? Then I should be able to login and can have a look :slight_smile: thanks for all your patience on this.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thibault,

It appears to be working now :slight_smile: keep in mind that it doesn't add them all in 1 batch, it sends them over 1 at a time to try and reduce server resources. Since you have so many users that you are syncing, give it awhile to fully sync all of them.

If it still hasn't synced them all over by tomorrow then post back here and we'll have another look.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thibault,

Thanks for granting access and sorry for all the back and forth happening in this ticket. I've checked your sites again and tried to run the sync again, but got a server 503 error, so this is definitely a server issue.

503 means that the server is being overloaded, so you're hitting usage limits and/or running out of memory.

If you contact your host and ask them about this they should be able to increase your memory - they will know more about what limits were being hit too as they should be able to see that on their side.

Due to the number of users you have, it's not unusual that this would happen, the server needs to be able to consistently make requests to transfer each user over.

Apologies again for how long this has taken, server related problems like this can be more difficult to troubleshoot since it's all behind the scenes.

Once you get your host to increase your memory limits or whichever other limits were hit, then you can try clicking "Sync All Sites Now" button on your main site > User Sync page. That should start the sync and you will see users being sent over again.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Thanks for that. I see what you mean, looks like there are quite a few there. I'm thinking once you get the server limits sorted out and re-sync then it will fix those ones; however, I'm going to ask our developer about this just in-case to make sure there isn't something else happening here or perhaps another way to fix it :slight_smile:

Either myself or the developer will reply back here.

Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Thibault
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I double checked with our hosting provider and it seems that we don't have limited usage limits and/or running out of memory. Can you double check on your side, it seems that the plugin is not working since some users are updated with no roles.

Thanks.
    Thibault

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thibault,

I'm going to ask our developer about that as well, there definitely appears to be some sort of conflict happening related to the server as indicated by the 503 error I got. Our developer will be able to dig deeper into it to hopefully find the cause here.

Again, either myself or the developer will reply back here once they have investigated further :slight_smile: thanks for all your patience on this.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.