Why do I now get a blank page after mapping a domain?

I had domain mapping working well - so easy to set up.

Now I get a blank page - no html, nothing - when going to that domain.

There's two things that have happened which may have caused this error.

1) Upgraded to WP3.5
2) Upgraded to a new (dedicated) server.

I suspect it's the server change, but although I have changed the A record and waited for the DNS to propagate, I now just get the blank page when entering those domains.

Is there something I need to do on the new server?

Any help very much appreciated.

Paul :slight_smile:

• Paul Foster Marketing

"pain in the backside" - haha, yes! Though my language was a little more colorful at the time :wink:

With reference to the plugin usage notes and your comment:

"The vast majority of Domain Mapping issues usually relates to the IP not resolving to the WordPress install."

May I suggest that it's mention somewhere in the plugin's settings page that a dedicated IP will be needed and that it needs to resolve to the multisite.

To be fair, although I have read the detailed usage notes, I obviously didn't take in the dedicated IP stuff, as I wasn't then aware of what a dedicated IP was. I have a dedicated server with it's own IP and assumed these were the same thing.

You are also requested to enter the 'server' IP address, during the configuration, yet the server's IP, as I now understand, will (in the vast majority of cases) be different from the dedicated IP for the multisite.

I think I'm now understanding this correctly. The confusion for me has come from the plugin working for me 'as if by magic' - when what I hadn't known was that my original server IP had been set to resolve to my multisite.

Thanks for your help on this guys. :smiley:

• Timothy Bowers

You are also requested to enter the 'server' IP address, during the configuration, yet the server's IP, as I now understand, will (in the vast majority of cases) be different from the dedicated IP for the multisite.

When it refers to the server IP, it means the site IP.

Perhaps it could say "Your dedicated IP"?

I'll ping Barry to see if we could have something like "To use Domain Mapping with A records this requires a dedicated IP address with it's DocumentRoot on your WordPress install".

From the top of the usage page is this:

For using A Record setups, you also need to ensure you have a dedicated IP. This IP would fall onto your multisite setup. i.e. when you enter the IP you see your multisite.

How would you make that part clearer?

I'd be happy to change it if it helps others. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Paul Foster Marketing

It is my understanding - and i'd of course I welcome any corrections from the plugin's developer (Barry?) for the sake of clarity - that:

1/ If:
    a) the multisite with the plugin installed and being used is the only mutlisite hosted on that server using the plugin is on shared hosting, a VPS, or a dedicated server and.

or b) the root directory setting for the IP of the server hosting the muitisite does not resolve by default to the multisite

or c) any A record gets changed to the 'servers' IP (as stated in the plugin settings)

then the plugin will require the multisite to have it's own IP address.

and 2/ If a & b & c above are false

then the plugin will not require the multisite to have it's own IP address.

If this is indeed the case I would wager for 99% of installations of this plugin the multisite in question will require a dedicated IP.

If this is indeed the case, to me then, the wording of the usage guide assumes the CNAME is the most important thing to worry about, and as such most users of the plugin won't be needing a dedicated IP as using a CNAME setup doesn't require one.

For example:

1/
    CNAME is dealt with first when explaining how to edit their records in cPanel.

Since an order implies importance/priority, maybe the changing of the A record should be explained first?

Aside:

For A Record – Top Level Domains we go through the same process, except you will most likely already have the A record set (unless in instances where the domain is registered but not pointed anywhere)

Firstly I'd assume that in most cases the changer of the A record would be the domain owner and not the multlsite owner. Unless the multisite owner has registered the domain for the client, or has been granted access to the client's domain register account for the purposes of changing the A record.

Secondly 'example.com' is a Second Level Domain (not tld) though I 'd say most users wouldn't know there were such things anyway.

This paragraph is therefore in my opinion redundant.

Maybe the wording for the A record change section could be geared towards changing the client's domain A record, or indeed explaining to the client how to change the A record in order to map the domain?

2/

For using A Record setups, you also need to ensure you have a dedicated IP.

To me implying most of the time you won't need a dedicated IP, but if you want to use A records, then you will do. (When as I understand it, in the vast majority of cases, A records will be used to map domains.)

Maybe the top would be better worded as: "First of all we need to check… You are running your WordPress website as a multisite right? Because if not then you won’t be able to install this plugin. You will also need to ensure you have a dedicated IP address for each multisite using this plugin."

It's all in the one (the first) paragraph so it is displayed in the default bigger font size making it clear that for this plugin the dedicated IP is just as important as having a multisite.

Then:

This IP would fall onto your multisite setup. i.e. when you enter the IP you see your multisite.

would be the second paragraph in the standard body font size.

3/
    I'd also say the majority of users wouldn't necessarily know what a dedicated IP address is anyway, nor how to aquire one, which again supports the assumption that the CNAME change for this plugin to work is the more important thing to note.

4/
    As noted before, the configuration setting for the network has the field: 'Server IP Address', in which I assumed I'd need enter my server's IP adress which futher supports that a dedicated IP is not needed, though in reality I'm assuming in the majority of cases entering the Server's IP adress will not work.

5/
    Because your plugins are excellent and indeed very simple to understand and use, it's testimony to fact one simply just 'plugs in' the vast majority of your plugins and only usually need refer to the usage notes if there was any thing not so easy to understand in the plugin's configuration setting; if indeed it has one.

Maybe this warrants adding to the plugin's network configuration notes that the plugin requires a) multisite and b) a dedicated IP address?

Finally, I'm wondering how many users of the plugin would know of the existence of A Records and CNAMES or what they are used for anyway. It's only since having my own dedicated server that I have discovered them. And then only because of trying to understand the 'Domain Mapping' plugin.

In conclusion:

As I have come to understand it, for this plugin to work, the requirement of dedicated IP address is just as important as the requirement for a multisite.

I'd therefore at the very least suggest this should be prominently stated at the beginning of the 'details', 'usage guide', and indeed the plugin's network configuration page to avoid any conclusion,

I do hope this has been suitable feedback.

Best wishes,

Paul :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

then the plugin will require the multisite to have it's own IP address.

If the IP is required elsewhere or cannot be changed (shared hosting) so that it's DocumentRoot if your WordPress install then yes you will need an dedicated IP just for that install which won't have it's path changed.

If this is indeed the case I would wager for 99% of installations of this plugin the multisite in question will require a dedicated IP.

If this is indeed the case, to me then, the wording of the usage guide assumes the CNAME is the most important thing to worry about, and as such most users of the plugin won't be needing a dedicated IP as using a CNAME setup doesn't require one.

Correct when using Canonical Names you do not require an dedicated IP.

If the domain is on the server as an Addon or Parked domain and has it's DocumentRoot set to your WordPress install then you won't need a dedicated IP.

I'd say that vast majority of sites using Domain Mapping will need a dedicated IP as most will be using this to allow people to map with an A Record.

Thanks for the rest of your feed. I'll pass this to our document guys and developer so he can look at mentioning something further regarding the IP.

Take care.