Why do some WP themes break or not work?

I am setting up a BuddyPress Multisite community. I am going to use some of the 133 themes and I'd like to add other themes. WPMU DEV themes are all tested and guaranteed to work now and when WP is upgraded. What about other themes that I add as options for my members? What causes problems with themes that I don't get from WPMU DEV? Can't I use other themes if the developer says they work with multisites?

• aecnu

Greetings rossterling,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

What about other themes that I add as options for my members?

They should be tested to be sure they work as anticipated before allowing your clients to use them. This can also be dangerous due to unscrupulous people imbedding malware and other undesirable stuff within theme code itself.

Reference this and this

What causes problems with themes that I don't get from WPMU DEV?

There are ma many number of reasons they have problems to include but not limited to bad coding, out dated coding, outdated jquery, too many possibilities to list.

Can't I use other themes if the developer says they work with multisites?

Certainly you can, but beware because all the pitfalls above are a possibility especially related to the free themes. Those that tend to sell premium themes with a money back guarantee for a certain amount of time are the best bet outside of WPMU Dev - but can still give lots of grief as described above.

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.