Why do the categories not show in the manage page?

I have just setup the plugin. It works in the basics, but one thing is not working. I have selected the categories of the custom post type. But these are not showing in the manage page. it only has the primary post type as a checkbox, theres no suboptions :slight_frown: this exactly why i bought this plugin. i need this.

• xbladerunner

Hey, I think I'm having the same issue as Tim. My subscribers are unable to modify which categories to which they subscribe.

I'm really confused if the plugin isn't meant to provide this feature -- it would seem to me that then the plugin description, AND the plugin itself, seriously misrepresents what it can do:

1) In the description of the plugin it says subscribers "...can manage and stop their subscriptions at any time..." This suggests these are two separate things the subscriber can do.

2) In the emails generated by the plugin itself, there are two separate links for the subscriber to choose from, one is to manage, and one is to end subscriptions. If they are meant to be one in the same, why are there two links in each email?

3) Additionally, the management page content that is created by the plugin says: "Please select which post types you wish to be notified about." That's pretty strange if the subscriber is not meant to have a choice.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the original question and should post in a separate thread -- I'm talking about the ability for the subscriber to modify his subscription among the category options preselected by the admin. Not to go outside the categories selected by the admin, but rather narrow down from the default of multiple categories subscribed, to a only a couple categories or a single one, from within that list. Is that really not possible in this plugin?

• xbladerunner

Hey, I think I'm having the same issue as Tim. My subscribers are unable to modify which categories to which they subscribe.

I'm really confused if the plugin isn't meant to provide this feature -- it would seem to me that then the plugin description, AND the plugin itself, seriously misrepresents what it can do:

1) In the description of the plugin it says subscribers "...can manage and stop their subscriptions at any time..." This suggests these are two separate things the subscriber can do.

2) In the emails generated by the plugin itself, there are two separate links for the subscriber to choose from, one is to manage, and one is to end subscriptions. If they are meant to be one in the same, why are there two links in each email?

3) Additionally, the management page content that is created by the plugin says: "Please select which post types you wish to be notified about." That's pretty strange if the subscriber is not meant to have a choice.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the original question and should post in a separate thread -- I'm talking about the ability for the subscriber to modify his subscription among the category options preselected by the admin. Not to go outside the categories selected by the admin, but rather narrow down from the default of multiple categories subscribed, to a only a couple categories or a single one, from within that list. Is that really not possible in this plugin?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @xbladerunner

I hope your well today and thanks for the additional information.

Ah I see what you mean here, a Post type isn't a category, rather it's a type of post.

i.e, if your using MarketPress, that uses the post type "Product" Our wiki plugin, uses the post type "incsub_wiki" These post types have their own custom fields attached and can use their own template files.

Currently for the categories, that isn't possible, But I'll add this as a feature request :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• xbladerunner

Thanks for your patience with me Jack,

So if I understand correctly, there is no way to presently have more than one option on the subscription management page, unless you're using this plugin with other plugins that alter the native features of your blog.

I reread all the plugin description information, and have no idea what made me think otherwise, about subscribers being able to choose between blog categories for their subscriptions. Just wishful thinking I guess. That's functionality that would make this plugin HUGE for me. I'm presently using the Jetpack version, but really want to transition over for the other great features of this plugin.

I see on a separate thread that the developer is working on this feature once bugs with the present version are worked out. Looking forward to it.