Why do the Network theme usage instructions blow chunks?

The usage instructions are generic and don't discuss the specific options of the theme. Hasn't anyone ever used the Network theme so you've just left generic usage instructions?

The descriptions on the two most important fields in the advanced options page are cryptic at best. Exactly what is the difference between blog posts and network posts.

Exactly how does the "exclude these blogs" works? And what if I don't want to ignore any? Why is there always one blog selected? How do I UNSELECT all blogs so they are ALL included.

Does it only pull ONE item from each blog that's part of the multisite? If it does that's kind of an important piece of information.

All of that kind of should be in the usage instructions. . ... or something.

• khawaja1971

Good grief! These type of questions have been asked going back two years and apparently the usage instructions are still crap.

I had to search through other discussions and comments to find out that there is a parent child relationship to get this "Network" theme to work. The main site has to have the "parent" theme and ALL the other multisite blogs you want to "network" have to have the "child" theme installed.

In my case that's pretty useless. I would have never bothered to try and install the not so Networked theme if that was clearly listed in the usage instructions or the main description for that matter.

The main description makes it sound like install the theme and you're good to go. Misleading. . ....

• aristath

Hello there @khawaja1971, I hope you're well today!

The usage instructions are generic and don't discuss the specific options of the theme. Hasn't anyone ever used the Network theme so you've just left generic usage instructions?

We are in the process of rewriting the usage pages of all our themes and plugins. The usage page of the network theme was originally written using generic instructions only because the options are pretty simple! That is about to change though, sorry about the inconvenience.

The descriptions on the two most important fields in the advanced options page are cryptic at best. Exactly what is the difference between blog posts and network posts.

Blog posts are posts that belong to the current site, while network post are posts from all over your multisite installation.

Exactly how does the "exclude these blogs" works? And what if I don't want to ignore any? Why is there always one blog selected? How do I UNSELECT all blogs so they are ALL included.

Press Ctrl on your keyboard and then de-select anything you have selected.

Does it only pull ONE item from each blog that's part of the multisite? If it does that's kind of an important piece of information.

No, it shouldn't pull just one item from each blog... is this what you are experiencing?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• khawaja1971

I played with custom-functions a bit but it didn't really do anything. The best implementation would be to have one setting as "total number of posts to go on the frontpage". And then get enough posts from each blog to fulfill.

total fp posts = 100

If there are 10 active blogs allowed pull 10 posts from each blog.
    If there are 50 active blogs allowed pull 2 posts from each blog.
    If there are 3 active blogs allowed pull 33 posts form each blog.
    etc

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.