Why do your plugins say "automatic update" instead of "update now"?

The difference in wording suggests that the plugins might be automatically updated whenever a new release comes out, as opposed to the this-time-only meaning of the usual wordpress phrase "update now". Please clarify: is "automatic update" one-time-only, or will it continue to apply updates in the future?

Thanks

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @Lydia,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

The plugins / themes will be updated automatically every time when the update become available only if you have enabled "Background updates" from the following path.

Admin area -> WPMU DEV -> Manage -> Background updates

I think that's why it is phrased as "automatic update" instead of "update now" because you don't need to manually download and update the plugin as it is automatically updated.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Lydia
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have turned off "Background Updates" because there is a wpmudev plugin that must never be updated.

However, I do want to apply updates to other plugins one-at-a-time, one-time-only. Will clicking on "automatic update" achieve this? Or will it somehow turn background updates on?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @Lydia,

Thank you for your reply.

Will clicking on "automatic update" achieve this? Or will it somehow turn background updates on?

Yes clicking on "automatic update" will update the plugin one time only and it won't turn background updates on until you do it manually.

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.