Why does Defender turn my wpadmin into a slug

I installed and activated your new plug-in Defender today on my site and it turned my admin page into a slug(speed wise)
I can log into wp-admin fine, I can browse to most any menu item and they open rather quickly
I click on the Defender menu item and everything else becomes PAINFULLY slow
I wait, I wait, then I wait some more
infact I wait so much I try to log out, then I get nasty database error connection message
and database error is so bad sometimes, it has taken down my site
If I get tired of waiting to log out, I have to close browser window

Everything seems to come back after a bit and I can log back-in
and again browse to any menu item, until I click on Defender

Any ideas what to try?

Thanks

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello @Windwalker,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

This is not expected behavior. Can you please enable support staff access to your site so that I can take look at your issue in depth. ? You can grant me support staff access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access

You also mentioned that you are getting database error while trying to log out. Can you please throw some light on this ? Means what is error ? If you can include error string here it will be great too.

But as you'll enabled support staff access, I will try to regenerate that error, but it will be better if you include it here as it will help me to confirm that we are working for same error cause. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @Windwalker,

I hope you are well today.

Hmm, I've checked other pages, all seem fine for me. Only the Dashboard page has this issue. I think that might be because the blacklist widget. As it need to send request signal to an API end point, and request info back. However, this process can take long due to your server config, and can lead to the timeout.

I can try to temporarily remove the widget, and let's see how It goes. To do this, I will need to access to your FTP, Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello @webexperts09,
    I hate to tack on here, but I am having the same issue with timeout errors with the API calls, it makes since, but it would be cool to see a fix.
    I made a post about it here, but no one ever replied.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wpmu-dev-poodles-we-have-a-very-special-gift-for-you#post-1041884

My Cpanel login details that I sent to Adam Czajczyk not to long ago are still valid for Cpanel if you can find them or even want them. I figured it would be just fine to have some extra testing data. I am on SiteGround BTW.

Thanks, awaiting your response :smiley:

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

@Windwalker,

I hope you are well today and thanks for your information.

That's because the Blacklist widget, as we currently put the Blacklist API down for maintaining. I temporary disable it, so now you can access the Dashboard fast as normal :wink:

@alexstine

I'm checking your issue now :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Windwalker
      • Flash Drive

Hoang

you said, "I temporary disable it, so now you can access the Dashboard fast as normal "

Sorry to report back I can not, still slow and killed my DB connection again
      Guess I'm going to have to deactivate
      Am also guessing if I deactivate, any changes made will revert back to the unsafe condition

I was also having this problem on my test site, which is mirror image of this but it seems to have resolved. Not sure how it fixed itself. And it did so before I submitted this ticket.

What should we try next?

Thanks
      Craig

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.