Why I can only "download" update and not "update automatically" ?

Hi,

Why I can only "download" update and not "update automatically" ?

And I get the same issue with 4 of your plugins.

I am using WP mU 3.4.1 with Buddypress 1.5.6

Regards

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lamine,

This is the best question I have had all day!

Though I cannot answer this directly, can you please let me know if you can update them through the regular plugin interface? i.e. logged in as network admin into the network admin dashboard --> Plugins --> find the chosen plugin and see if updating is available and click on it to see if it indeed updates?

The reason why i asked and even though I do have the WPMU Dev Dashboard installed on my installations, I always update the way I described above because I like to read the change logs first before applying the update.

Furthermore, I indeed have these updates applied to my server installations and the download files are not on my computer making me believe that it worked exactly as I described above.

If in fact they can and are updated as described above we can see about reporting this as a bug.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lamine,

Thank you for the additional information it is greatly appreciated!

In an effort to replicate the reported issue I FTPed into my test production server installation, deleted two of these four plugins and then updated the matching older versions then what was initially on my production server.

The results were puzzling since I cannot reproduce this issue as indicated in the screen shots below and just to be sure I also checked with a Buddy Press installation in addition to a regular MultiSite installation with the same results.

Therefore the only things left that i can possibly think of is either a plugin conflict or a hosting issue.

Since checking hosting means changing hosting which is a little more complicated, we should go after the possibility of a plugin conflict.

Hence, now it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lamine,

The bad news is that I cannot replicate this issue and the only possible thing I can think of is that it is a server/hosting issue not allowing the plugins to be updated automatically.

If there were more people reporting this issue I would go ahead and try to find out what hosting these folks are using to possibly see if it is a mod_sec rule causing this or what is going on.

We can easily enough see if it is a mod_sec rule by simply adding:
    SecFilterEngine Off

To the top line of your htaccess file and seeing the reaction of course.

If you get a server error 500 then mod_sec is not activated and we know for sure this is not it.

Your host is not Blue Host by any chance?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• lamine
    • The Incredible Code Injector

First : I have a dedicated server

Second : This feature was working 1 week ago and since new update was appear in the admin backend I noticed i can only download and not update.

Do you want, I give you temporarily admin access ?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lamine,

So happy to hear that you have a real server and for letting me know what we are working with.

Any chance you tried the mod_security off rule?

This feature was working 1 week ago and since new update was appear in the admin backend I noticed i can only download and not update.

Lets try rolling it back to the previous version and if that works I will flag the lead developer in on this ticket and we have the evidence and symptoms of this issue documented.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/download/171916476_wpmudev-updates-3.1.1.zip

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lamine,

All due respect sir but the last update was 3.1.2 and our system confirms that you have indeed downloaded it and installed it.

Can you please check into this again? I would sincerely appreciate it :slight_smile:

I am requesting this method to try to figure out in which update it went wrong for your system configuration in which you said: This feature was working 1 week ago and since new update was appear in the admin backend I noticed i can only download and not update.

Therefore I am trying to figure out which update things stared to go wrong there i.e. version 3.1.2? 3.1.1? 3.1?

I am honestly just trying to help figure out where the issue is at or where it started to give the lead developer as much information as possible to resolve the issue or for him to figure out where it is at :slight_smile:

Last but certainly not least, I can easily enough ping the lead developer on this ticket which then it is no longer my responsibility, however considering he is on vacation until the 10th of July I have been trying to resolve it with you at minimum temporarily until he gets back and can address it himself.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lamine,

Thank you for your additional input, it is appreciated.

As mentioned before that i cannot replicate this issue, there is not one single report of this issue from anyone else on the entire globe, and I have no idea what could possibly be causing this except something like Bad Behavior plugin or something along that line.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

can i have an update on this because I neet to fix it first to solve another issue with another WPMU plugin

What is going on there? Is FTP for your hosting account broken too by any chance?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• lamine

Hey,

I test it by updating another plugin (not a WPMU plugin) and I didn't face FTP issue. FTP works well with WP.

I have a test platform which is a perfect copy of LIVE site (only some content are different) and I deactivated ALL my plugin except WPMU Dashboard.

And it's not working I don't have WPMU menu in super admin dashboard and I can't update the test site too.

Please advise.

Regards

• Jason

Your permissions are messed up.

While the individual +RW settings are correct, the wrong user may have the permissions.

If you will login with FileZilla and post a screenshot here, I can show you who the "owner's" of the files are.

If you are FTPing as root, but apache, nginx whatever is using web-user or whatever any process running as web-user will not be able to overwrite files created by user root.

So the effect is some plugins will update, some won't, since some files were created by web-user and some by root.

------------------
    Furthermore, this could also be the reason why your sitemaps won't update. :slight_smile:

^^This is my best guess^^ 1st step, look at who owns the files via filezilla.

• Aaron
    • CTO

There are only 3 reasons why it would not give the autoupdate option:
    1. You havn't entered your API key - check the manage page
    2. Your account tied to the entered API key doesn't have permissions (membership expired, or only paid for 1 product)
    3. Your site is not activated for autoupdates (in which case it should give you a message as such on the dashboard pages) check here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/users.php?page=wdpun

As far as not being able to see the WPMU DEV menu at all when active on a site, that's because it's active for only one user. You can change that user easily, see the usage instructions towards the bottom: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/#usage

• lamine

Dear Aaron,

Below 2 screenshot who confirm I am register to WPMU dev and up to date regarding payment and auto-update is active.

And 2 others screenshot that plugin is network activated but doesn't appear in sidebar menu.

Regards

Please advice.

• Jason

@lamine

Right click on the column title where is says "Filename"

And choose Column setup. Add a checkmark to Owner/Group and re-post what you see there.

---------------------
    A note on what Aaron said about the 3 reasons, he's prob right on about those reasons, and you might want to check out that link and report back what it says about your subscription and status. But I still think if you were having issues with other plugins, you should still attach that screenshot I asked for, and include one of the actual dir of affected plugins.

• lamine

@Jason

I think the solution is on your path because I found many topics on forums similar to mine based on FTP credentials issues.

Let me share screenshots with you.

Image 1 My FTP screenshot with owner

Image 2 Result when I run this code on my web server Apache 2 <?php system(&quot;id&quot;); ?>

By the way, what is the link to show this box? Image3

Regards

Please advice

• Jason

That page only appears if wordpress is having trouble accessing your files (as in they are read only)

So you won't see it unless you change permissions on files, however I'm not used to seeing that user running apache.

So you have apache running as user AdminFF2011?

• Jason

Did you setup some sort of extra php security? Like suphp?

The username that apache is running under should be www-data on debian based linuxes (Like Ubuntu)

It might be easier if you could just post a like to a file with phpinfo in it....

I have the instructions ready if you need to change the user of your files, but I would wait until we're more certain first.

• lamine

Well, finally Aaron was right. It was a question of user admin.

WPMU dashboard was only available for the admin "XXX" in my case and I was connecting with another user admin "YYYY"

So I couldn't access wpmu dashboard.

When I connect with "XXXX" I can see WPMU dashboard...

Thanks for the support.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.