Why is Analytics + not working?

I've used your Analytics + to enable Google Analytics on the site http://www.redpumpkitchen.com but I'm getting very strange results. I don't know how quickly your analytics stats update, but when I go to Google Analytics Real-time view it shows zero active users (so far as I know there should always be at least 1 when Real-time is running, and it still shows 0 even when I hit the site from a couple different browsers / IP addresses.

Further irregularities:

- your stats show traffic to this site even prior to installation of Analytics,
- All the traffic shown is from outside the US, referrals from one server in Russia or something.
- The pages shown as being served are not even on this website.

Can you please tell me what the problem is?

Regards,
Nancy

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nancy,

Hope you're doing well today! Google Analytics+ just pulls in the data from your Google Analytics account. It doesn't display live data like your actual Google Analytics account does - it just updates everyday to reflect the previous days stats :slight_smile:

This just means that your google analytics account must have been installed prior to our plugin so it's brought in that data as well. I can see that you also have Google Analytics+ setup with All in One SEO, it would be best to remove your Google Analytics code from that plugin and just use Google Analytics+, no need to use both :slight_smile: may just cause conflicts.

- All the traffic shown is from outside the US, referrals from one server in Russia or something.

Could be a bot of some kind or maybe somehow a link to your site ended up on a Russian website and now they're linking from there to you. If you go to your actual Google Analytics account then you can likely find more information on it.

That's odd. Do you have this Google Analytics account installed anywhere else? As mentioned, our plugin just brings in the stats from Google Analytics, so it will be showing the same thing there.

I would also recommend upgrading to WordPress 4.1. Staying up to date is important because it fixes any possible security risks.

Hope this helps! Look forward to hearing back Nancy.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Nancy

Hi, thank you for the quick response.

OK. Is there a way to manually make Analytics+ update from the google account?

This just means that your google analytics account must have been installed prior to our plugin so it's brought in that data as well. I can see that you also have Google Analytics+ setup with All in One SEO, it would be best to remove your Google Analytics code from that plugin and just use Google Analytics+, no need to use both :slight_smile: may just cause conflicts.

There probably was a conflict, because when I removed the Analytics account number from All In One SEO I immediately could see traffic in Analytics Real-Time view.

However, the Analytics account that was in All in One was NOT the correct account for this site. It’s presence would explain a conflict that was preventing Analytics from working, however it DOESN’T explain how the actual google account (the one set up via Analytics+) got data from prior to yesterday.

Could be a bot of some kind or maybe somehow a link to your site ended up on a Russian website and now they're linking from there to you. If you go to your actual Google Analytics account then you can likely find more information on it.

That's odd. Do you have this Google Analytics account installed anywhere else?

- Yes, probably a bot, and I can see the URL of the russian website in Analytics. But that doesn’t explain how Google accumulated data in this account regarding that traffic on dates prior to the setup of the tracking code for this account. Any ideas on that?

- Several people in the company & vendors have access to this Analytics account, so I can’t be absolutely certain that the account/tracking code wasn’t used elsewhere. The referral is from forum.topic56254975.darodar.com, and Analytics indicates that “our” page that was referred to via a link from this URL is http://co.lumb.co

What I CAN be sure of is that our Analytics account is not installed on a server in Colombia. So I researched it further and an found a likely explanation, which I’m passing along FYI. This appears to be some sort of hacker/spam attack that impacts Google Analytics directly and messes up the data in people’s Analytics accounts.

In the past month or so, hackers associated with the two above servers are harvesting UA numbers and Analytics code, using it on their own sites and forcing rubbish data into tens of thousands of Analytics accounts. I’m not sure WHY they would do this, but perhaps it’s some sort of SEO link / traffic scheme, or maybe they’re just trying to get GA admins to investigate like I did and click on their link right from GA.

There’s no cure that I know of. Maybe just filter out the rubbish and wait for Google to put an end to it.

As mentioned, our plugin just brings in the stats from Google Analytics, so it will be showing the same thing there.

Well, that’s my next question: No, I DON’T see the same thing in your plugin. Why would that be?

I haven’t put any filters in place yet, so why don’t I see the same thing in GA and in your Analytics dashboard? I don’t think it’s just the update schedule because some of the information just doesn’t match. Any ideas why? And will the filters I set up in GA be reflected in what I see in Analytics +?

I would also recommend upgrading to WordPress 4.1. Staying up to date is important because it fixes any possible security risks.
    Hope this helps! Look forward to hearing back Nancy.

OK, I’ve done that. Thanks again,
    - Nancy

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nancy,

Sorry for the delay here. Thanks for your patience. You can expect those answers right now! :slight_smile:

However, the Analytics account that was in All in One was NOT the correct account for this site. It’s presence would explain a conflict that was preventing Analytics from working, however it DOESN’T explain how the actual google account (the one set up via Analytics+) got data from prior to yesterday.

Is it showing these stats in your actual Google Analytics account as well? It sounds like it must of been installed at some point. Our plugin doesn't actually store or create any of the data.

I haven’t put any filters in place yet, so why don’t I see the same thing in GA and in your Analytics dashboard? I don’t think it’s just the update schedule because some of the information just doesn’t match. Any ideas why? And will the filters I set up in GA be reflected in what I see in Analytics +?

Would you be able to take a screenshot of the inconsistencies? So I can see what isn't matching up :slight_smile:

It almost sounds like we're dealing with two different Analytics codes here.

In the past month or so, hackers associated with the two above servers are harvesting UA numbers and Analytics code, using it on their own sites and forcing rubbish data into tens of thousands of Analytics accounts. I’m not sure WHY they would do this, but perhaps it’s some sort of SEO link / traffic scheme, or maybe they’re just trying to get GA admins to investigate like I did and click on their link right from GA.

Nice find, this would explain the off site link. This could explain the other irregularities as well. Would you be able to create a new tracking code and set that up? :slight_smile: that way you know it's brand new and won't be compromised.

OK. Is there a way to manually make Analytics+ update from the google account?

Aside from the live stats, Google Analytics only updates once a day itself, so there is no way for us to get the data before it's on Google the following day. If this ever changes then of course we can look into having a manual update option :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back on this Nancy! Once we see the inconsistencies then we'll be able to get a better idea of what is happening .

If you could re-grant support access to then we can take another look there for comparison too.

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.