Why is Autoblog only posting excerpts instead of full articles ?

Howdy Y’all

OK – Autoblog plugin all installed, configured, up and running… the Post Excerpts setting is set to Post Full Article and the Words To Use option is left blank but in each post created from the feed – only an excerpt is put in.

In the Setting > General > Writing option the value for Each Post in a Feed is set to Full Post. Whats going wrong ?

For confirmation its not the RSS feed – I have been using the RSS Poster plugin on another site for a few years pulling content from the same RSS feed URL and it pulls in the full article just fine – no problems.

Help Please !

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Howdy @ste

My first thought would be that the RSS feed is only providing a 180 character excerpt in place of the full feed so that’s all autoblog can pull in. If you provide a link here to the feed we’ll be happy to verify it as well.

Also please try using a trial feed (like the WPMU feed) and see how that goes as a test ?

Cheers

Jude

• Anang
    • New Recruit

Hi @ste

Trying to help here :slight_smile:

I can confirm it is the RSS Problem , the RSS you use is only support partially content. If others RSS Poster plugin can expand the content, because it has automatically expand content script. But you can some rss expander service, to made your RSS support full content. Example :

http://www.feedenlarger.com

And I have try to generate your RSS to be full content, try to put this URL to autoblog :

https://feedenlarger.com/makefulltextfeed.php?url=www.theregister.co.uk%2Fsecurity%2Fheadlines.atom&max=10&links=preserve&exc=&submit=Create+full+text+feed

Let me know if you need anything else :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• sdlx
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Anang,

Sorry for the late response.

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately this still isn’t fixing my issue – leading me to think there is something forcing this in settings.

Failing that I will just have to look for a similar free plugin that allows me to post full rss feed articles (filtered by keywords) to blog posts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for plugins or a solution please ?

Thank you all once again for your time :slight_smile:

Ste

• sdlx

Hello Again,

Further update… have tried taking a look at WPeMatico to handle my rss feed requirements – and I am seeing the same excerpt truncation issue – leading me to believe that this is a WordPress settings issue rather that a plugin issue with Autoblog or any other RSS plugin.

Is anyone here skilled enough to help me look through settings or config files in WP to see what could be wrong or what to change to enforce posting full text into posts rather than just excerpts ?

Thank You.

• Anang
    • New Recruit

Hi @ste

Is anyone here skilled enough to help me look through settings or config files in WP to see what could be wrong or what to change to enforce posting full text into posts rather than just excerpts ?

There’s no wordpress setting to enforce RSS to autoexpand into full article. It’s only the RSS poster have features to expand RSS automatically, so it’s feature that come on RSS Poster plugin.

So if you want to get full content on autoblog you need an RSS that provide full articles. Or you can search some services that provide you new RSS that has full content from RSS that have only excerpt. As I know there are services out there but not free :slight_smile:

Let me know if you need anything else :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• sdlx

Final update for anyone interested – I installed WP RSS Poster Pro and it does exactly what it says that it can do – post full content from articles on RSS feeds.

I’m not sure why many other plugins claim to be able to do this and then simply don’t.

WP RSS Poster Pro does not have the same lever of functionality as AutoBlog – and if they sorted this full content issue I would switch back to that in a heartbeat. But for now, Autoblog simply does not import full articles like it says it can.

Use word, phrase, expression and tag filters to control what posts import. Set tags, categories and custom author information. Import a full post or just an excerpt. Link headers to the original post.

If anyone can put me in touch with the Autoblog devs – I would very grateful.

Have a great day all !

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ste,

Hope you’re doing well today!

Thanks for the update on this. I’ve just sent you a private email. I’ll be sure to pass on to our developer that there is a plugin out there that seemingly is able to pull the full post even when the feed isn’t displaying the full post.

Enjoy the rest of your day and talk to you soon!

Cheers,

Tyler

• sdlx

Howdy Tyler,

Its been some time.

I’m still noticing that the issue still exists on Autoblog. Was there any joy speaking with the developers ?

I really need the ability to import from RSS feeds and filter by keyword.

Many Thanks.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey @ste

Thanks for the patience. Just had a word with Tyler a while ago on this, this is not currently possible out of the box because of the way the plugin is built. The developers were a bit busy over this period with the new dashboard and a bunch of our other new offerings for 2016.

That said I’m marking a feature request on this one and we will add this to the roadmap based on how many others want it added.

If its something thats critical then I suggest you try our jobs board where you can find some good talent that can help you with this.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Cheers

Jude

• sdlx

Hey Jude (not the first time you’ve heard that before I bet !)

Thanks. Im not sure how I would go down that route doe development; after all I would like the ongoing support that a WPMU product offers.

Were you suggesting that I get a custom tweak to Autoblog or get a bespoke plugin created to suit my needs ?

Toodle Pip,

S.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ste,

It would require more than a custom tweak to Autoblog. Basically, if the RSS feed doesn’t have the full content then Autoblog won’t be able to pull it in. You would need something like a scraper: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-web-scrapper/ that scrapes through the actual html output on the page. Not just the RSS feed.

It could be developed as an add-on to Autoblog I suppose, but it would be quite a bit of work. You might want to test out that free scrapper there and see how it works for you. Perhaps use both Autoblog and that scrapper. So feeds that don’t show the full content you can try scrapping the sites instead.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey sdlx,

Development for this feature hasn’t begun yet as there hasn’t been enough demand for it. It’s unlikely it will be done any time soon. Your best bet would still be to use a web scraper plugin like the one mentioned above.

If this feature does get added then I’ll update this thread and let you know :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.