Why is my Home page being protected unnecessarily in membership?

Hello,

Membership has been functioning fine for quite a while now, but I just checked today and my Home page is redirecting to my protected content page for people not logged in. This is unusual, because the home page is supposed to be visible to all people. I don't know exactly when it started, but I just noticed it. And it hasn't always been doing this. Could someone help point me in the right direction to fix this?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @jacob,

Can I ask if you have any default level set for visitors in Membership > options > general?

Also what rules are you using in your access levels?

Could you also grant support access in Dashboard > wpmudev > support > support access so we can take a look.

Thanks

• Jacob
    • Flash Drive

Hey @Vaughan,

Yes there is a default membership level set. Strangers have a level named "Visitors" and when you sign up you're automatically given the "Free subscription" access that is default.

Visitors have the negative rule to be disallowed access to one page, and one category, as well as disallowed access to read behind the More tag. But that's it.

My home page has always worked for visitors, but until just recently it stopped and is redirecting to the protected page.

I have granted support.

Thanks so much!

• louise_cuschieri
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

There seem to be a few issues with redirecting to the protected page. I've been checking this forum for my issue which puts a new subscriber into a loop to the protected page and creates a "Too Many Redirects" message.

There are a lot of people with similar issues - could you please look into this as a matter of urgency? Started happening after the latest update.

Thanks,
    Louise

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Louise,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

The issue you have described seems different issue than the issue reported on this thread therefore to help keep support tickets separate, could you please open a new thread for your new question?

This helps to prevent any confusion (for us) as I'm sure you understand.

This might also help other members looking for a similar answer. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Jacob
    • Flash Drive

@Vinod Dalvi

Well the issue is halfway resolved. What I did was I made a new page, copied all my contents from the original home page, and the pasted them as the content of the new page. Then I set that new page as the static front page. It works, but the issue of it unnecessarily blocking the first one isn't actually resolved, and I am afraid there might be more pages in the future it does that to.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.