Why is my website so bloated?

I have a non-public website (I may be able to give you access if that would help) that has been running for several years. It is not a particularly large site if you check the size of a routine backup (I get a file size of only 2-3MB on the Backup). However when I run All-in-one Migration Pro to export the site I get a file size of 10GB!

Most of the content is routine and should not be contributing to such a large size. The only thing that I can think of is the images that are maintained in the NextGen image gallery (although there could not be more than 300-400 or so, however some of them can be as big as 7, 8 or 9MB in size; those are large but they cannot be causing such a large backup size). Nevertheless they should not be contributing to such a massive size of 10GB.

I tried configuring NextGen to optimize the size of all future uploaded modules, however those that were already uploaded I think stay the full size. Is there anything I can do with older NextGen files?

What can I do to downsize the website 10GB size? Are there any tools that can help me narrow down the file size to individual components? Any other suggestions?

• Rupok

Hi westcam,

Thanks for asking. Actually, it's very tough to find out why the backup size is getting so big. As you said above, is it possible to give us access to your site and also send us your FTP credentials so we can have a better look at your setup and try to find out why the backup size is getting such big?

Please send me a message with your FTP and WP access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - FTP Username
    - FTP Password
    - FTP Host
    - WordPress admin Username
    - WordPress admin Password
    - Login URL
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

The subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sending the credentials. I logged in with FTP and found that inside your "wp-content" directory, there is a directory named "ai1wm-backups". Inside that directory, there is a file and that file is 9.7GB big. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Now when you are exporting your site with another plugin, that plugin is copying everything inside the "wp-content" directory to export. That's why the backup size is becoming such big.

If that 9.7GB file is not important to you, then simply delete it from the server or download it to your computer for backup and then delete from the server.

This will resolve the issue for you I believe. Please let us know if this doesn't help or if you have any further query. We will be glad to help further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.