Why is Snapshot soooooooooooo slow?

I have installed and run Snapshot on several sites and am consistently finding it to be incredibly slow, taking over an hour and sometimes up to two hours just to create one backup.

I have previously been running BackupBuddy on these sites and found it completed the same backups in 2–5 minutes, but wanted to switch due to the licensing terms with BackupBuddy.

Snapshot runs quickly until it hits the files, and then slows down to a crawl for every site. And it's not just one file that seems to give it trouble; it barely moves for every single file. I know I can speed up the backup speed by not loading all files — I currently have everything selected — but it is the same setting that I had for BackupBuddy, and I do want to save all files.

Is there anything that can be done to speed this up?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @kipley,

I've done snapshot backups that happened in just a few minutes. I've never heard of it taking that long. Do you have a large number of media files on the site?

Or, maybe there's something going wrong behind the scenes? We could look into this further if you would like to enable debug logging before the next backup. A great tutorial for this can be found here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/the-right-way-to-debug-php-in-wordpress

Let me know what you find out, and if you need any more assistance here.

Best regards

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@kipley,

I have installed and run Snapshot on several sites and am consistently finding it to be incredibly slow, taking over an hour and sometimes up to two hours just to create one backup.

Well you mentioned BB so this might be a clue. When you run BB is creates a series of folders within your site /wp-content/uploads ( see attached image ).

what I suspect is happening is the Snapshot backups are trying to include the BB backups. Depending on how large there BB backups are they take time to compress and add to the zip file.

So try going to Snapshot > Settings. Look for the panel 'Global File Exclusions' and add the BB paths to that input box. You only need to the relative paths which are

wp-content/uploads/backupbuddy_backups
    wp-content/uploads/backupbuddy_temp
    wp-content/uploads/pb_backupbuddy

Also, I will admit BB is an exceptional backup tool. It does contain custom compress library code where as Snapshot uses standard compress libraries available with WordPress or PHP.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@kipley,

Also wanted to point out there is a huge difference in Snapshot when running in the interactive mode vs. scheduled mode.

When running interactive/immediate there reuests are a series of AJAX requests from the browser to the server.

When running scheduled mode (once weekly, once daily, etc) the tasks run much faster generally.

• kipley
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Excellent feedback. Thanks very much, Alexander and Paul:

The BackupBuddy archives do indeed appear to have been the culprit. I should have thought of that! I downloaded the most recent couple then deleted them all from the server. Running Snapshot after that created a full archive in about one minute rather than 90 minutes or so.

Again, thanks for the guidance!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.