Why is there no option for WP Core files inclusion?

It would be really helpful if this plugin would give you the option to backup your WHOLE site i.e. including the wp-core files.

Reason being I am just updating to wp 3.8 and I want to backup my current installation so that if anything goes wrong I can easily restore things back *exactly* how they were, but with this plugin you dont appear to be able to do that.

I'd say that without the ability to restore everything you are not really creating a 'snapshot' at all...

• Alexander

Hi @davidosullivan,

There are several issues with this. First, when permissions are properly setup, it's not possible for core files to be modified. So Snapshot wouldn't have access to change these. So if core files were an option, you'd need to have less secure permissions, and it wouldn't work on all servers. Being a plugin, SnapShot is restricted to what plugins are allowed to do.

SnapShot is great for when a plugin update breaks your site, or for when someone makes changes that shouldn't have been made.

But for core updates, it's best to create your own backup manually.

Best regards,

• Paul

@davidosullivan,

A couple of other reasons posted here for posterity.

1. Including the WordPress core adds to the archive bloat. This is somewhat of a personal pet peeve. Or course I feel the same way about including plugins. I would really like to change this to just include a reference that the plugin was installed. If needed for a restore most plugins can be pulled directly from the wordpress.org very easily.

2. The major reason this is not done is because there is a chicken or the egg concept. Consider that Snapshot runs within WordPress. So how does that work when you start changing the WP environment during the restore. Also consider during a restore snapshot like other plugins does not simply restore as a single step. There are actually many little steps related to the restore process.

On the other hand I do have under development a restore process which runs outside of WordPress. It starts by looking at the archive manifest file which is part of the archive when created by snapshot. From this the recover process will pull in a fresh version of WordPress to start. Then restore the rest of the archive. This would be needed if for some reason your site is just totally down. And you don't want to reinstall WordPress to be back online. Look for this after the first of the year.

• Devi

Oh yes indeed! Those exclude filters are important!

Thanks for reminding me. If I have a dollar for every time I did a backup and saw my 70Meg website backup archive reign in at 200-300+mb ... lol..

"What the hell! Why is my backup taking so long! Omg Why is it so big?!?"

Hehe, anyway.. Actually you did make me think of a relevant question about this..

If Snapshot does not touch core files, what does this mean practically in terms of what I can restore from?

This is my understanding...:

If I install a plugin or theme I end up not liking, or make tweaks to a plugin or anything (or tweaks to core WP settings), I can use Snapshot to restore from those changes.

BUT, I won't be able to restore from a Wordpress update. (Such as the update to 3.8).

That would be pretty much the only limitation, correct?

Or are there any other practical concerns I should know about?

Thanks again by the way Paul!

• Alexander

Hey @Devi,

It doesn't touch core files, but those files never change anyway. Once a release is made, those core files will stay the same forever, and you can get copies of them. What really matters here is the settings and everything stored in the database - this is all backed up by SnapShot for you.

It can roll back your site to previous snapshots within the same version of WordPress. But this is just for now - as Paul's already confirmed a few times in the above messages, there's a feature coming that will change this.

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.