Why is there no way to use videos plugin with mapped domains?

Am I missing something? One of the core reasons I signed up for WPMU was for the video plugin to use on a multi-site I'm working on. However, after installing and setting everything up, I find out I need to have "use original domain" in use AND I have to setup the API for EVERY domain I want it used on.

This is a bit pointless and I'm really disappointed. I hope I'm just missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Justin

• korndev

Hey Timothy,

While I appreciate the response, this isn't very helpful.

Basically what you are saying is I have to use the videos on the front-end of a site in order for people to view them, while, in reality, the point of this plugin is to allow users to view and get up-to-speed from the comfort of their admin panel (or so I thought).

These details should REALLY be made available on the "about" part of the plugin. As it is now, it is deceiving and quite frankly false advertisement making you believe you can provide these videos in the dashboard. Directly from the about page:

Integrated Video Tutorials make it quick and easy to put professional support videos right inside the WordPress dashboard. Ideal for:

Developers who want to provide easy support built right into clients’ sites
    MultiSite networks that need to support users of all skill levels
    Anyone that likes helpful videos at their fingertips

• Timothy Bowers

Basically what you are saying is I have to use the videos on the front-end of a site in order for people to view them, while, in reality, the point of this plugin is to allow users to view and get up-to-speed from the comfort of their admin panel (or so I thought).

That's not what I said at all. Where did I say that?

To use the videos you use our API, our API allows 20 domains/single sites:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/users.php?page=vidapi

If you're mapping a domain, then you're not using the main sites domain, you're using a custom one.

These details should REALLY be made available on the "about" part of the plugin. As it is now, it is deceiving and quite frankly false advertisement making you believe you can provide these videos in the dashboard. Directly from the about page:

Nah it's not false at all. Because these work well in the admin are. The plugin is designed for that purpose.

Where it doesn't work is when a different domain name is used. It must use the original, the one of your main multisite site, the one you define here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/users.php?page=vidapi

So as the error told you "use original domain":

Admin --> Network Admin --> Settings --> Domain Mapping

Then enable the original domain, this will only affect the admin areas and will allow the videos to be shown there.

When users visit the front end of their mapped site, it will still be mapped. Using the original domain only affects the admin area and enables the use of those videos.

Take care.

• korndev

If you're mapping a domain, then you're not using the main sites domain, you're using a custom one.

That means every time a new site is added, I need to add a new domain to my API, correct? It's a bit involved if I just want to provide tutorials as a "bonus" for people using my multi-site install and what happens when I reach the 20 max? Further, I didn't see the 20 seat restriction until AFTER purchasing. There is nowhere indicating this is a restriction on the pre-order documentation.

Nah it's not false at all. Because these work well in the admin are. The plugin is designed for that purpose.

Where it doesn't work is when a different domain name is used. It must use the original, the one of your main multisite site

It's not exactly that straight forward. The point of domain mapping is for front-end and backend access. Users should see their domain for the front-end as well as their backend and not be switching back and forth just to login to their domain. I really don't want my users seeing the primary domain at any point in their experience.

Thanks.