why is wordpress

I have a question. If the videos are truly suppose to be white labeled then why do the videos show "wordpress" written all over them?

Kinda difficult to use when you really don't want to have any hint of "wordpress" on your sites. The same goes for the descriptive text of the themes?

• webcrafter

If I am not mistaken when the term white labeled is referred to it is in reference as to who produced the videos. As far as not showing WordPress on anything then that would mean that you have likely done a great deal of modification and the videos screens and the actual layout of your site are likely to be pretty different, if not it is not going to take much for someone or a lot of someones to recognize it as WordPress any how.

If you have made that many modifications then you are going to be in need of videos that are more specific to your individual design and workflow any how I would think.

To be honest with you, irregardless of what us old timers want to admit it is just not economical or practical to create websites from scratch any more and using Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, or something similar as a base that is built on top of is common practice, why re-invent the wheel and all...at any rate it is an excepted practice and not looked upon poorly in general...not to many companies out there that have the initial $15,000 to $80,000+ to invest in a bottom up custom development job on such a scale as what can be covered by some plugins or modules using currently available Open Source CMS models.

I can feel for your desire not to let everyone and their brother to know the exact model you are using but there are some limitations, the finding of video how-tos on a website that has already had the workflow, feel,and look of Wordpress stripped that fits your current workflow model, either way the chances are that the videos are going to at least differ from what you actually have if not at the beginning then at some point.

Sorry if there is a negative tone to my post, please do not take it that way if there is as there is absolutely no negative view intended, like I said I have felt the same as you in the past where it was very important to not have any branding of whatever base system was being used at all. It is always problematic at certain stages to over come that need though from my experience.

Hope This Helps,
    Brad

• myork

First, thank you for your reply and I am not taking it as any type of negativity. I had the notion that I could white label WP 100% and use it as part of my new business model. I guess that plan is not going to work as I wanted it to.

The same with the themes. All the themes clearly show that they are WP themes and they have the authors info on the themes. So that will not work.

As for white label, I am from a lot older school and the link below has always been what I and my staff have thought of as white labeled. I guess I am too old and out of touch as times do change.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/white_label.html

As far as creating videos I do understand what is involved as we have produced many of them. That's why I was hoping your videos where white labeled to save me that time.

Again, thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. Back to the planning board I go.

• aecnu

Greetings myork,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

The term white label as described above has actually been known to me as Private Label for many years now (since 1993) and I am a half a century old :slight_smile:

The themes can indeed legally be stripped of there markings to include the copyright notice at the bottom of the theme because they as well as the plugins are released using GPL licensing.

However, the authors name and credits must remain intact within the coding of the theme or plugin to be in compliance with the GPL license.

Almost every plugin and theme includes a link to the applicable GPL license in which you may want to refer to for the details of the license and your applicable rights therein.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.