Why is WP Smush taking so long?

Hi, I ran the plugin overnight the day I bought it - 500 images smushed by the morning.

Now, over 24 hours later, only another 300 smushed....not good, too slow. Why?

• Jude

Howdy @Jonathon

Hope you are keeping well and welcome to the community !

Are you on a shared host ? I ask because all the smushing (heavy lifting) work is done on our servers, only sending and receiving the images are dependent on your host. So if there is a spike in traffic in your host there are chances it can affect the speed.

Also could you enable support access and I can take a look inside for you

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Jonathon, Michael here! :slight_smile:

I see that quite a bit of progress has been made since this message, I'm seeing that 13199 of 13457 images have been smushed.

Still, there's that last few hundred to contend with. With having a peek inside your site's Media Library, I noticed that there was more than one image that needed regeneration of thumbnails (a bunch of them were around the end of page 12 of the results, and the beginning of page 13).

Locating all of the affected images would take quite a bit of digging (given the amount of images), so let's go with Plan B. :slight_smile:

With the assistance of this plugin:

You can do a bulk regeneration of thumbnails by clicking on the "Regenerate All Thumbnails" button inside of:

Tools -> Force Regenerate Thumbnails

Which should not only help resolve the thumbnails being broken, but in the process, all of the images being regenerated will be smushed, so we're doing two things at once. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,