Why pages are still protected in Protected Content?

Hey peeps,

What are some common reasons why a particular page that is protected by the Protected Content plugin STILL protected even after someone logs-in at one of the appropriate authorized levels?

Greg

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Greg, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

This might be a silly question, but did you notice any signs that you were logged in on the front end? (e.g. the WordPress Admin Bar was on top of the screen)

When I first had a look inside your site, and I tried going to the front end of the site that had the Protected Content plugin enabled (the help site), I noticed that I wasn't actually logged in on the front end.

You can try enabling the "Cross-domain autologin" option inside of Network Settings -> Domain Mapping (as I noticed that you use Domain Mapping on your site, and that this particular subsite has a domain mapped to it), as that's what got things working for me when I tried going through this the first time.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Greg

@Michael Bissett

I do have the admin bar at the top hidden from view upon login. Do you believe that is the reason? I can try de-hiding (showing lol) the admin bar at the top to see if it works then first. But the option the "hide" the admin bar is coming from the Protented Plugin itself though (i.e. settings>general tab)?

I will try that and then look into the cross-domain autologin after that and report back...smile.

Greg

• Greg

@Michael Bissett

Ok, I tried to enable the admin login top bar alone (did not show the protected page)...by the way logging in as a Premium test users (which is the highest currently).

Then, I tried the auto login on alone (nothing)

Then, I tried both on at the same time (nothing).

Any other ideas from you or others? Kindof stuck without that working...lol.

Now, I have them both off again (autologin no and hiding the admin bar).

:slight_smile:

Greg

• Greg

@Michael Bissett and @Patrick

Ok, I think the problem was found. I went through the purchase process on the site live before and select the highest level. When I created the page, I gave access to that level. On the /account page it did show that the test user was in-fact registered at that level too (see attached). Also, when clicking on "memberships" sub-tab UNDER the Protected Content menu item in the admin area for the site, that 1 test user shows up as a member too. But it still was not working.

I clicked on the members tab and found that even though the attached was showing the person as the appropriate level, this user still was not fully enabled as a active member for some reason. Now, I will try a brand new fresh signup to see what happens to be sure they show up after purchase.

The next question would be why it did show the user in the "memberships" sub-tab and also on the /account page, but was not on the active/enabled "members" tab area?

Not sure if that is something development should look into or some error in testing on my part (but worthy of mentioning for wpmudev's benefit and others who may run into a similar issue at this point)?

So, now I have that prior test user working properly because I had to manually add them in the "members" tab to get it to work. I will not try to test the whole process to be sure new users get immediate access without my having to manually enable them.

Greg

• Greg

Hey @Patrick

I updated this post right before you posted. Could you take a look at the post here prior to the one you just made? Also, would you mind to remove the link and screenshot from your prior post please?

Post Edit Update (11/25/14 at 7:30 pm EST USA): I just went through a fresh registration and payment process. Everything went ok except I still seem to have to manually approve each user to become part of the protected content membership (enable them under the sub-tab "members" still) even after payment goes through. I just would like them to have immediate access to the content they paid for with me having to manually approve or intervene in the process of course. Please let me know what setting/config needs to allow that to happen.

Greg

• Michael Bissett

Hi @Greg,

In regards to this:

I just went through a fresh registration and payment process. Everything went ok except I still seem to have to manually approve each user to become part of the protected content membership (enable them under the sub-tab "members" still) even after payment goes through.

I'd like to know what's showing up inside the IPN History on PayPal, could you post the log here please, so that we can have a look at that?

Or, if you prefer, could you send in the following:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include PayPal IPN logs
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Please advise,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hi @Greg, thanks for sending in those IPN logs! :slight_smile:

I noticed that you're using the "PayPal Standard Gateway" inside of Protected Content, have you tried testing with the "PayPal Single Gateway", to see if that makes a difference?

Also, is the PayPal account that you're connecting Protected Content to a business account? The PayPal Standard gateway won't work if you don't have one.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Greg

@Michael Bissett

Yes. It is a business account. Will the single notify the site for upgrades, changes, cancels, non payment, etc. I don't see a IPN address for that option? In your opinion, what are the biggest differences/pros or cons between standard and single in regards to its use for Protected
    Content? I would like it to be a automated process (nothing I have to do to enable folks to get access)...

It is a business account.

Let me know...

Greg

• Andre Foisy

Hi there @Greg,

It's great that you have a business account, so you have no restrictions on that side.

About Single Payment, there was an IPN URL to specify in Membership for Paypal Single as well as for Standard Payment. So, in Protected Content this might have just not been documented yet, but when I look into the code it seems there's a Gateway IPN return for Paypal Single available as well. You might want to try it by using the same IPN URL as the one used for Standard Payment, and replacing the last part /paypal_standard by /paypal_single

Please try it out and let's see how that works. :slight_smile:

The main difference between the two methods is the Single method, as it is called allows to collect single payments the simplest way. The Standard Method will allow to interact and manage more complex processing, you can find out more information from the PayPal Payments Standard page.

Regards,
    Andre

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.