Why the change in purchase flow for Events+ and Marketpress?

Hi guys,

I've just installed Events+ and Marketpress so I can use variations or multiple prices for event tickets.

Anyway I've set that up fine (even if it should really be part of Events+ core). The slight issue I'm having is the clunky-ness. I watched a video from a couple of years back where someone did the same thing and when they clicked on "I'm Attending" a box appeared above the button with the add to cart stuff in there. Meaning you could add multiple tickets of differing types etc. Now you click it and the box appears with just a link saying hey you haven't paid yet. When you click on it it takes you straight to the cart where you do not have the option to add a variation on multiples of what's already there.

I love WPMU Dev but this just feels a bit half arsed. I'm guessing it's because Marketpress has changed the cart system?

Not sure but whatever the reason, it's slow, clunky and not user friendly. I love Marketpress but it feels like overkill installing it to get Events+ working the way it really should.

Don't you guys agree and do you have any tips on streamlining the process I have detailed above?

Cheers

Neil

• ThePath

Hi milan,

I think you have missed a key point in my query. I'm using Events+ with Marketpress. If you have a test install you can look at you will see it does not matter if you have that Marketpress option selected. When using it alongside Events+ all you get is a silly box saying: "Excellent! We've got you marked as coming and we'll see you there!" and another above it saying:
    "You haven't paid for this event
    Click here to purchase your ticket"

My point, as explained above is this is not user friendly and a rather clunky purchase flow because now you can't add variations of tickets! All you can do is add one ticket to the cart, it takes you to the cart, you then have to go back to event page to add a variation. It just doesn't make sense and it never used to work like that. You used to have a dropdown box with an add to cart button where you could choose a ticket, add it to cart (stay on the event page) and add a variation if you wanted and then move to the checkout process when ready. See this video from 2 years ago and you will see how it used to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-y_h1RR4pg

The way it works now is just not fit for purpose and really Marketpress should not be involved, it feels just like a quick and dirty fix.

So my question stands. Do you guys agree that the purchase process used to be better, why has it changed, can it be improved?

Thanks

Neil

• Dimitris

Hey there ThePath,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

In order to add multiple variations to the cart, you can simply keep adding the variations you need through the single event page page without going to the actual cart page when the messages

Excellent! We've got you marked as coming and we'll see you there!

You haven't paid for this event
    Click here to purchase your ticket

appear for the first time. When you'll have all the variations you need, you can simply navigate to cart to fulfill the order.
    The only change I can see in the video you shared (which was using a rather old version of MarketPress) is that the dropdown to select the variations weren't visible at first time, you should had clicked "I'm attending" in order to select a variation, but now you first select a variation and then click "I'm attending" which seems to be a quicker web flow.

I hope I got that right and didn't skip any of your points here, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong somewhere! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• ThePath

Hi dimitris

I don't mind anyone chiming in, the more the merrier I say.

Do you think that's a good flow or even good UX? So I have to select a variation, click I'm attending then select another variation and click I'm attending again. A user will not see the I'm Attending button as an add to cart function because it doesn't say add to cart.

I'm going to have to remove all the buttons and just have an ad to cart, change the message to say "Added to Cart click here to pay"

All in all it's clunky and not user friendly, don't you agree?

• Dimitris

Hello ThePath,

hope everything's going well for you today!

I agree that button labels and info strings may require some translation/reformulation for users, in order to better understand the web flow and continue to add multiple event tickets without worrying about the final cart result.
    Feel free to proceed with these strings' changes and post back here if more assistance is required on this. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, I can't say that this is not user friendly, despite the fact that there could be some improvements. In case you have something more specific in your mind, please create a new related thread to Features & Feedback section for further considertation and some members' feedback. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• ThePath

Hi dimitris

It definitely is not user friendly as I've had a number of people complaining about it and also I myself dislike the flow. That aside I have improved it by making child templates only to find that Marketpress allows people to checkout without singing up/logging in but Events+ doesn't so really it's not fully integrated.

The only thing you can do is add the addon to Events+ which allows you to RSVP with just an email. Again bad UX here as you enter your email in the Marketpress form so there is no need for it at the events page.

Kind regards
    Neil

• Dimitris

Hey there ThePath,

I trust you're well today! :slight_smile:

These are good catches and I wonder if you want to move this thread into the Features&Feedback section in order to get any further attention from members and dev team.
    I really can't promise anything as I don't actually know what's the exact roadmap but some feedback can always improve things for us! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.