Why would a responsive theme stop working in mobile view?

Hi guys,

OK I'm hoping someone here can help because I have been racking my brains with this one. OK so there is a site I look after. It has an old version (v2) of the theme called: The 7

Obviously this theme uses Visual Composer built in (yuk I know). Anyway the site was fine in mobile view and all of a sudden its all messed up when viewed on a mobile. Strangely if you look on a desktop browser and reduce the window size it responds the way it should but on a mobile or tablet it does not.

I have been through every theme setting and visual composer setting. I even switch off visual composer to see what happened and it made no difference which made me think it can only be a theme issue.

Has anyone encountered this before and does anyone know of a mobile testing tool to see if there is any extra JS being loaded on mobile browsers that may be causing this issue.

I could just upgrade the theme to its latest version but this may change quite a lot about the theme/design as its quite an old version I have.

Also as additional information the site pulls the latest jqeury via WordPress, I have tried removing this and using an older version of jquery but the result was the same. So I think I have ruled that out. It also loads jquery migrate.

Any help would be amazing as I realise this has nothing to do with WPMU Dev but I've kinda tried every where else and everyone here is really knowledgeable.

Cheers

• Rupok

Hi ThePath,

there is a site I look after

Thanks for asking but can you please provide the site URL so we can make some tests on that and try to find out what is causing this?

I can see that you have lots of sites registered on your account. So I'm not sure which one to check.

The 7 is a third party premium theme and I'm afraid, I don't have any access to it's coding and architecture. So I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with it and that's why can't suggest anything about the settings of this theme. Can you please ping this theme developer? As he coded the theme, I believe he can give you best idea regarding this.

As a quick troubleshooting step, can you please do a plugin conflict test just to make sure no plugin is causing this? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let us know what theme developer says about this and the result of your plugin conflict test, and at first, your URL of the site. If the issue is not resolved after following the above suggestions, please also let us know. We will be glad to check your site and help you fix the issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• ThePath

The site is here: http://www.wallstreetptnyc.com/

Yeh I contacted the dev and they only accept support through their support system which I think I have to sign up for plus its an old version which they prob dont support any more.

Its got nothing to do with the settings I dont think as the site was fine and nothing was changed apart from the host and then it went weird. Plus I have tried every conceivable setting config.

Thanks

• Nithin

Hi ThePath,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I do see this issue only when I view on mobile, and while in browser mobile emulator it works fine. This seems to be an odd issue, since you did mention that it was working fine before. I was able to notice JS errors in the console, so cannot rule out whether any plugin is causing this issue. Did you perform the plugin conflict test mentioned by Rupok in the previous reply? If not, please test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), and check whether any plugin is causing this issue.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

To troubleshoot this issue further, could you please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• ThePath

Hi,

Sorry for delayed response. Yes I can confirm I have deactivated all plugins. No change. What were the JS errors you saw?

I think one of the main things that is going wrong is the menu. Some parts of the rest of the site are trying to be responsive but the menu just simply breaks.

Quite a complicated theme so its hard to find id there is some specific JS loading for mobiles which could be the issue.

• ThePath

If I grant access though you cant touch any of the theme settings. I have changed most of them and some actually change quite a lot of the front end design and if you change them it resets and forgets what was done before and so has to be recreated. So Im not sure how much can be learned by looking at the settings.

Mmmm it would seem I may have to admit defeat on this one and just update the theme. Pretty annoying though.

• Nithin

Hey ThePath,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I don't recall what were the exact JS errors, if I'm not mistaken, it was related to jQuery. It's pretty tough to troubleshoot without checking your configuration, I do understand if you don't want to enable support access, but checking your configuration will give us a better idea regarding this issue.

If you are looking to troubleshoot this further, please do enable support so that we could give a look. Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could help get this resolved. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.