Why would my users dissappear from the user list?

I've been building a client site for a week now.
Get it set up,
add users with admin privileges.
Update their passwords.
Give them the info and they can't log in.
As I investigate the issue I see the users are no longer in my list.
This has repeated at least 4-6 times now.
I've reinstalled WP countless times.
I'm about to tear it all the way down to the hosting and rebuild from there.
Been doing this a long time and never seen this.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

• Atkotech

Am I right in saying you added the users on a multisite set up? If you go to your Network Admin you will see the users but you will also see the list of sites they can access is blank. If you go to edit the site you want to add them to you can click on the users tab & add an existing user there. You can also add new users that way too, this ensures they are added to a particular site right from the user creation. Hope this helps.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Richard, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

Following along with what @coremedia suggested here (as this is indeed a Multisite setup), I was able to create a test user of my own, assign it to your site, and then give it Administrator privileges. Afterwards, I was able to log in with those credentials.

Are you seeing the same thing on your end? And in regards to the disappearing users, is there a certain amount of time that needs to pass before these users are deleted? Or is there more to the story here?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Richard

Yes, Multisite install.
    I added to main site. gave admin rights since they are the owners and want to continue to maintain their own site.
    By the time I give them the credentials they can't log in.
    I check t he site and they are no where to be found.
    I can add sub sites for them and tose do stay.
    they stay on the list in the sub sites but are not in main site where they log in from.
    I don't see the user you created, nope not on my end.
    the two users are there that I created.
    I have not given them admin righs.
    I will try that now and see what happens them.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Richard, my apologies for the delay here!

Just to touch on this quick:

I don't see the user you created, nope not on my end.
    the two users are there that I created.

I had deleted my test user shortly after I was done with it, as I figured you wouldn't want a admin level user just hanging around on your site. :slight_smile:

As for this:

So I finally get the clients logged in and the home page is now blank.
    Can anyone see any broken code or what may be the cause.
    I have activated and deactivate all themes and plugins to test for conflicts.

I'd want to activate WP_DEBUG by changing the following into your site's wp-config.php:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

To this:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

If that doesn't bring up anything when you try loading the home page, then I'd want to try uploading the no-white-screen.php inside of the attached .zip archive here to:

wp-content/mu-plugins (create the mu-plugins folder if it doesn't already exist)

And try viewing that page again. That should tell us what's happening here. :slight_smile:

Let me know what comes up please!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.