Why would transients be stored in db and creating huge files?

Hi - We are experiencing server resource problems and received this back from tech support for the server:
So as far as I can tell, it's just the overall size of your DB that's causing issues. Here's a list of your top 50 database tables with their table rows and data length. The only one that appears inordinately large is the first one wp_323_options. There are 135,000+ rows of transients that as you know, with object caching in place aren't even used. They are all in the form of "_transient_timeout_fb_comments_1348424338" . I went ahead and deleted all those transients for you and I noticed that the load times on that site

Could we have it configured wrong somehow? How can I flush all the transients across a big multisite?

• aecnu

Greetings WP Tech,

Thank you for the input and there is not sufficient information to go on to decide what is going on there and as the techs said the with object caching in place aren't even used and it appears that indeed something went a little wild there for unknown reasons as to having all the _transient_timeout_fb_comments_1348424338 which indeed points to Facebook timeouts.

You mentioned eating up resources but never described those resources so if indeed this is on a small shared hosting account no wonder that it started choking.

So without complete detailed information there is indeed no way to properly analyze what the bottom line for the issue is to include every plugin and anything and everything using said resources.

Lets keep and eye on this and let us know if it starts again.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• WP Tech

Hi and thanks for your response.

Our tech indicated that our server is configured to use object caching, so as I understand it, transients no longer need to in the db.

We did recently migrate from a previous server. It is unknown whether it used object caching. Regardless, as our db has grown to 1.5 gigs we are looking for what we can possibly pare down. If it's normal for this plugin to write large tables to the database, is it possible to remove them all by deactivating the plugin? This is a multisite we are dealing with.

In regards to our hosting resources, we are on a linode 8 gig pod at one of the well known wordpress hosting companies. Our problems are frequent 500, 502, 503 errors - especially experienced by logged in users.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• aecnu

Greetings WP Tech,

No problem and done!

If it's normal for this plugin to write large tables to the database, is it possible to remove them all by deactivating the plugin?

Unfortunately no and not even deleting the plugin will remove the data.

Our problems are frequent 500, 502, 503 errors - especially experienced by logged in users.

Ouch and I am sorry to hear that. And though your mentioned an 8 GB Pod, you did not mention who configured the server to begin with which is of the utmost importance.

I use a proprietary configuration we developed right here some years ago when I had a personal team of six coders from the local Tech University for working on Dual core servers to make them perform better. Needless to say when applied to the minimum Quad cores, the hosting is screaming fast and it is indeed applied to all my servers.

This development makes the system work in an on demand type scenario and at any one time your site is provisioned up to the full resources of the server - in this particular case the main servers are configured with QUAD 1230V2 and 16 GB of RAM with php allocated at 512MB RAM.

Dual Quad Core 5420's work well too.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• WP Tech

Understood. I sent you an email asking if it would be possible to have a phone call regarding your hosting options.

Regardless of host, I'm hoping to determine if this plugin is performing normally by adding transients to the database and creating large tables that might be creating problems. Any insights on this might occur or ideas on how to fix it? Possible to reach out the developer of the plugin?

Thanks so much!

Ryan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.