Wiki email notification not functioning

Hi

At wiki.sprachkritik.org I have installed the plugin Post Notification by Email. The email notification works fine for both blog posts and blog/wiki comments, but not for wikis as such (whether newly edited or changed).

I have read your post https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wiki-e-mail-notification-not-working and checked the box "Enable e-mail notifications", but without success. Neither could I find the link "Notify me of changes" in any edited wiki.

I also tried the plugins (1) WP-Mail-SMTP and (2) Easy WP SMTP. However, I don't know how to fill in the settings (which SMTP Host etc).

So I would be grateful for your help!

• Ivan

Hey there Sabine,

Hope you are having great week so far!

SMTP is for using mail server different from the one you are hosting your site.
    So if you have a e-mail address registered with Gmail or Yahoo you can use that e-mail for sending from your site.

Check the plugins descriptions about the details you need.
    For Gmail and Yahoo SMTP details you can check this links:
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en
    http://www.serversmtp.com/en/smtp-yahoo

Please note you will need to enter and the password for your email.

Let me know if this helps,
    Ivan

• Sabine

Hi Ivan

Many thanks for your detailed reply. As I understand from your description, SMTS provides an extra service which I don't seem to require.

What I am looking for is an automatic email notification of a new wiki posted on my blog, or a newly changed wiki on my blog. And this notification should be sent to my ordinary mailbox.

This would in fact be the same procedure as the email notification of a new blog post or comment, which already functions (see original post above).

Looking forward to your feedback
    with best wishes
    Sabine

• Sabine

Hi Ivan, hi colleagues

I would still be grateful for your feedback on my previous post.

To put it in a nut shell: How can I, as administrator of my blog, get an automatic email notification of a newly edited or changed wiki on my blog?

I have installed the plugin Post Notification by Email. The email notification works fine for both blog posts and blog/wiki comments, but not for wikis as such. What should I do?

Looking forward to your reply
    with kindest regards
    Sabine

• Tyler Postle

Hey Sabine,

Hope you're doing well today!

You could use our Subscribe By Email plugin for this :slight_smile:

It supports custom post types, if you're just using it for yourself then no need to actually place a subscription form anywhere, just manually subscribe your own email and set the: Subscriptions > Contents. To Wikis and include all categories.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you still need any further assistance here.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Sabine

Hey Tyler

Many thanks for your advice. I have studied the details of "Subscribe by Email". The plugin refers to 'new posts' (which would include wikis according to your description), however it doesn't seem to include alerts about updates of existing wikis (which would be just as important in my case!). Could you comment on this?

Should alerts about updates be definitely included, I would like to know whether the price of the plugin is meant for a single purchase or an annual subscription.

The download link for the plugin, by the way, takes me to the menu "Modify Your Membership", and I cannot find any further link leading to the actual download!

with best wishes
    Sabine

• Sabine

Hey Tyler, hi WPMU DEV team,

I am still looking forward to your feedback. My question still is:

How can I, as administrator of my blog, get an automatic email notification of a new or revised wiki published on my blog?

If your Subscribe By Email plugin is the answer, as you suggested, could you please confirm that it is designed to notify both a new wiki and a revised wiki (i.e. each revision of a wiki).

Should your plugin not be able to provide an email notification in both these cases, could you perhaps recommend an alternative solution?

Your reply and support would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Sabine

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Sabine!

Are you using the most recent version of Notify Users? I just installed it on my test site with Wiki, and I was able to select the Wiki custom post type in the conditional settings. (Check my screenshot of the settings.) It looks like this is a fairly recent add, just wanted to make sure you'd noticed this setting. If you have, and it's still not working, I'd love to log in and take a closer look at your settings.

n the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Thanks, Sabine!

• Ivan

Hello Sabine,

Hope you are well and sorry for the delay!

I just tested this on two sites and didn't have problems to receive email on wiki updates.

You can find the "Notify me of changes" on the frontend of each wiki.
    It should be visible as long as the user is logged in WordPress, if not there is a filed to enter an email address and subscribe.
    So everyone should be able to subscribe.

If you continue to have problems, can you install WPMU DEV Dashboard and enable support access so we can take a look at the site?
    You can find more information on how exactly to do this here.

Thanks,
    Ivan

• Sabine

Hi Michelle, hello Ivan,

Many thanks for your helpful feedback posted in succession. I assume that you both refer to the plugin "Notify Users" (alias "Post Notification by Email")!
    So I followed your advice by updating my plugin to version 4.1 and selecting the Wiki custom post type in the conditional settings.

Below are the results of my renewed testing:

*Any new wikis (both main and sub wikis) edited from the backend are duely notified via email - exactly as you, Michelle, recorded from your own tests.

*However, new wikis from the frontend (in this case sub wikis) are NOT notified, even if the user has subscribed via the menue "subscribe to this blog" .

*NEITHER are wiki revisions (i.e. updates/changes edited from the backend or frontend) notified.

*And I'm afraid I cannot find the "Notify me of changes" button on the frontend of each wiki, which you, Ivan, mentioned in your post.

So I would be most grateful if you could check all this on my site. Feel free to add test wikis and revisions (the site is still in an experimental phase!). I have just enabled support access for you and are of course willing to extend the time allowed if required.

Looking forward to your testing and outcomes
    with best wishes
    Sabine

• Tyler Postle

Hey Sabine,

The plugin isn't meant to email you of sub-wiki creation; however, I do think that's a good idea so I've flagged it as a feature request :slight_smile:

As for the "notify me of changes" I have attached a screenshot of the button/link.

Click that and then edit the post(as anyone other than your admin) and you should receive an email of the change.

That should do the trick :slight_smile:

Let us know if you are still having issues here Sabine.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Sabine

Hey Tyler
    Thank you very much. This Notify button/link looks like a great idea, however I'm afraid it doesn't (as yet!) work with me.

I tried various test arrangements, using your two subwikis, pressing the Notify button and then making changes by an external author, but none of the expected notifications arrived in my mailbox. Neither did this work with an alternative email address I filled in the Notify window (not being logged in).

So I am wondering whether you could still make the trick work for me! And if it works with these test wikis, how can the Notify link/button be inserted in the remaining and any new (sub-)wikis?

Cheers
    Sabine

• calvinrogercanas

Hey there @Sabine,

Hope you're well! :slight_smile:

So I am wondering whether you could still make the trick work for me! And if it works with these test wikis, how can the Notify link/button be inserted in the remaining and any new (sub-)wikis?

We could take a look on your system and help you better if you could grant support access from the dashboard plugin in order for us to troubleshoot your site. See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Looking forward for your reply! :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Calvin

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Sabine,

Thanks for granting access. I re-tested my installation while testing yours and it does look like you have a deeper issue here in that emails aren't sending. When I edit a wiki in my setup it sends the email notifications successfully; however, not the case in yours.

It seems your site is sending emails properly in general so likely not an email server issue, unless maybe there are a lot of emails signed up to be notified and it's hitting a limit.

Would you be able to do a plugin conflict check by deactivating all other plugins then trying to edit and save the post again - check if the mail sends properly :slight_smile: in a lot of cases this issue can be due to a plugin conflict too.

Look forward to hearing back Sabine!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Sabine

Hey Tyler

Thanks a lot for your renewed testing and suggestions. I did the plugin conflict check by deactivating the plugins "Post Notification by Email" and "Jetpack" (but NOT Meta Widget Customizers and Simple Link - neither of course Akismet, VaultPress and WPMU DEV Dashboard!). However, I'm afraid, the "Notify me of changes" tool (testing both my own and external changes) again didn't function.

Let me add, though, that my separate test of the latest update of the plugin "Post Notification by Email" (4.1.1) produced email notifications of new subwikis both from the backend and the frontend. This proves your point that emails from my site are sent properly.

Again, I will leave further checking of the "Notify me of changes" tool in your hands - with hopes for final success!
    All the best
    Sabine

• Ivan

Hey Sabine,

Hope you are having great weekend so far!

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but can you run the plugin conflict by disabling all the plugins, but Wiki Pro?

Even one other plugin active might be the one making problems - it is just for a test to check if wikis will send emails, after that you can enable them.

That way we can eliminate the possibility for plugin conflict and can dig further.

Thanks for being WPMU DEV member,
    Ivan

• Sabine

Hey Ivan

Thanks for your cheerful response! This time I made sure, before testing, that all plugins (but Wiki Pro) were disabled.

The test: I created a new subwiki. The 'Notify me of changes' command was klicked/fill in by three test persons from different browsers (myself as admin, another author and an external user). Then the subwiki was changed from the frontend first by myself and second by another author.

The test result: None of the above test persons received any 'notification-of-changes' email.

I hope this result eliminates the possibility for plugin conflict. Now all the plugins are enabled again, and I have granted support access from the dashboard.

Wishing you success in digging further - with thanks for your support,
    Sabine

• Sabine

Hi Michelle

Thanks for your feedback. Just a quick point about notification of changes from the front end:

My test of the latest update of the plugin "Post Notification by Email" (4.1.1) produced email notifications of new subwikis made from the front end (see my post of 22.2.).

So I still hope there might be a chance of notifying changes made from the front end as well.

With best wishes to yourself and the team
    Sabine

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.