Wiki Pro Registration and User Management

Hello,

I hope this finds you well. What is the best way of managing who gets editorial rights in that way please? Wiki Pro does not seem to have a registration facility which would enable those who have been registered and approved to edit the Wiki pages only (and not the rest of the website). How do I add one? We are trying to set up a Wiki where editing will not be open to all visitors, but only to those who have registered to the Wiki and have been approved.
Thank you very much for your help!

Luca

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Luca,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I think you may want to turn your attention to our Protected Content plugin. It will allow you to create a free (or paid if you wish) subscription plan and then secure the editing areas with a simple shortcodes or a few clicks of a mouse.

You will find more information on Protected Content and the plugin itself here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

I hope that helped!

Regards,
    Adam

• Jos Rickman

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your very prompt reply! Just to clarify, would the Protected Content plugin make it possible for people to register on one page, and then get editorial access with the username they have chosen to the Wiki pages?

Even so, I don't like the fact that I need another plugin to do so. I thought that functionality was included with the Wiki Pro plugin. Moreover, I have Gravity Forms with its Registration add-on, and if I cannot manage registration and users natively on Wiki Pro, I am going to use Gravity Forms to do so.

But I guess the main question is whether once users have registered and chosen a username, all the changes they make to the Wiki will be attributed to them (i.e. will be tagged with their username). Is this the case with Protected Content, and do you happen to know whether it is also the case with GF Registration add-on please?

Thanks again,

Luca

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Luca,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your patience here!

I'm not quite familiar with how GF registration add-on works exactly but from what I've read on their website, it's just an "enhancement" to the standard WP registration. If it indeed is, then it doesn't change much except making it easier for users to register :slight_smile:

Our Wiki Pro plugin uses native WP user base and standard users credentials so of course if a user is allowed to post on wiki (or perform any other action) then he/she will do it under his/her own username. Unless the user is allowed to choose the posts author (as e.g. admins are).

The point is, you can use any registration method you wish as long as it creates a standard WP user account. Then, without any additional plugins, you can setup user's credentials for WIKI on WIKI's settings page (as seen on an image):

"Wikis" -> "Wiki Settings" page in the dashboard

If you wish to separate WIKI capabilities and standard user's capabilities, you can for example allow all user roles to edit WIKI and then use our Protected Content to simply protect particular front- or back-end pages either via shortcodes or by setting access credentials on

"Protect Content" -> "Protected Content" -> "Castom Post Type Items" page in your dashboard.

To do this you'd only have to enable the "Individual Custom Posts" add-on for Protected Content.

Having said that, none of these solutions changes the way the usernames are being handled, so if user named for example "Joe Doe" is allowed to post on particular WIKI page, then his post will appear under the name of "Joe Doe".

I hope that helps!

Regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.