WIldcard Subdomain Setup for Multisite Network

I have set up several multisites, and I know the steps it takes to get the subdomain setup up and running, or at least I did.

Apparently cPanel has changed the way they do it. I created a wildcard subdomain, and the A Record was automatically generated. So I thought everything was working correctly. Then after creating 2 subdomains they both threw DNS errors.

Apparently cPanel now creates a wildcard folder. *.domain.com /_wildcard_.domain.com instead of pointing to *.domain.com /public_html

My host fixed it for me this time, but I have more Networks to set up. Where exactly do I make the change to point it to public_html. More importantly why did cPanel change something that didn't need changing. Do we have to do this modification every time we create a network now?

Thanks.

• Rupok

Hi Don,

Thanks for asking. My colleague Sajid has a cPanel test hosting account and he also confirmed the issue. However, he said that you can easily edit the wildcard subdomain root folder by renaming the wildcard folder and set the path to your domain root directory. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Go to edit subdomain and replace that wildcard folder name with "public_html". And this will fix your issue I believe.

To be really honest, I don't know why cPanel did this. Can you please post about this in cPanel Forums or talk to your host regarding this? Sajid confirmed that this is happening in one of his cPanel account. But it's behaving like before in cPanel from another hosting company. So I think, your hosting company can give you better idea regarding this.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Don,

Actually server people are highly expert in server management and other server maintenance related tasks. cPanel is a third party software integrated in your server. So I can't actually blame those guys for not knowing a cPanel feature/functionality. However, obviously support people from most hosting companies are very smart and they know all features and usage of all products associated with their hosting. Maybe your company only excels in server management.

Glad to see that we could help you in this. Please let us know if you have any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.